Installing on a 700mhz eMac.

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Postby Dr. Chef » 12 Jul 2012, 04:51

[MODERATOR EDIT: Sorry - we don't allow multiple posts - I combined these two for you. -Paul]

Hello, my name is Dr. Chef.
I've been having issues trying to install Yellowdog on my 700mhz eMac. When I boot from cd the computer ignores it and boots directly to OSX 10.4 Tiger. Recently OSX had a kernal panic and it stopped working. I bought this eMac at a recycling center and It didn't not come with a install disk. I can boot from cd, but when I try yellow dog, it doesn't work. Is there a way to fix this?

I have one more question. I heard that you need a OSX partition or the computer wont even boot. Is this true?

Thanks.
Dr. Chef
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Dr. Chef » 12 Jul 2012, 04:51

Hello, my name is Dr. Chef.
I've been having issues trying to install Yellowdog on my 700mhz eMac (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/e ... c_700.html). When I boot from cd the computer ignores it and boots directly to OSX 10.4 Tiger. Recently OSX had a kernal panic and it stopped working. I bought this eMac at a recycling center and It didn't not come with a install disk. I can boot from cd, but when I try yellow dog, it doesn't work. Is there a way to fix this?

I have one more question. I heard that you need a OSX partition or the computer wont even boot. Is this true?

Thanks.
Dr. Chef
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing on a 700mhz eMac.

Postby Aviator45003 » 31 Jan 2013, 02:20

Hey,

Okay, so here is what I suggest you do. This is assuming you are using the internal CD drive.....
Actually, first, tell me, does this computer have DVD Read capability? Some of the eMacs did, some didn't.

Anyway. When your computer starts up, press down the following keys and hold them (assuming you have a Mac keyboard): Command + Option + O (the letter) + F
If you have a windows keyboard, the key sequence is Windows+Alt+O+F (same letters).

When you get to a point where there is text at the top that tells you to release the keys to continue, issue the following command:
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

and then press enter. This will boot whatever CD is in the drive. This method is basically foolproof, unless your CD drive doesn't support DVDs.

As to your other question, yes, you need an Apple partition. Luckily for us noobs, the software that installs PowerPC distributions of Linux installs that partition FOR us, and calls it Apple_Bootstrap. So you don't need to worry about it.
Aviator45003
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation