New World Power Mac G3 (Blue Desktop Tower) YDL 5.0 Failure

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

New World Power Mac G3 (Blue Desktop Tower) YDL 5.0 Failure

Postby kentc » 19 Mar 2013, 21:25

Hi YDL Support Team,

I recently acquired a power mac G3 (Blue Desktop Tower) that had Mac OSX 10.5, which was very slow to me and didn't have the features I enjoy as a pc user.

I've tried to replace such with YDL 5.X with either the DVD or multi-CD images, and run into multi issues.

I then tried to install the YDL 4.0 Orion (Multi-CD Imageset) which did infact work, but didn't load anything for the network devices so I can't go online, and on the OS
fails the "Activate" when i tried to init from root.

Can someone please help me with a few things:

1. How can I successfully install YDL 5.X.X for the g3 Blue Desktop Tower series? I've had no luck with DVD/CD (Using the apple DVD drive)
2. How do install a driver from YDL from the rpm? or just in general for YDL?
3. How can check the drivers for YDL, as I've also been having issues trying to load anything up for wlan0 or eth0.

Thanks again everyone! I've been trying to setup a web server with YDL, i like the speed it has and runs smooth for a powerpc, better then Mac OSX 10.5!

Help me out please!!

Kent C.
kentc
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: New World Power Mac G3 (Blue Desktop Tower) YDL 5.0 Fail

Postby kentc » 22 Mar 2013, 11:22

Hello All!

I have returned with my engineering and A+ certified training to update with what Linux I've learned just by experience:

SYSTEM: B&W G3 (New World with DVD-ROM)
STOCK SPECS (512MB,On-Board eth0,etc)

UPDATE: Ok, I was trying to post here for assistance and didn't find much, I've researched, and played with YDL since I've been a CentOS/Puppy Linux fan for awhile. Being I hated the MAC OSX 10.5 installed, which was horrid for this model. I want to include that, skipping the md5sum, I burned a perfect copy to find a debug issue with openoffice install + YDL 5.0. I may come back later to remove that possible via nLite, and re-try.

Move Forth.. to YDL 4.0.1... This did install no problem but!! ALL the hardware would not show up and YDL wouldn't load properly when i loaded the OS. Maybe another Md5sum issue, but I doubt it as no hardware even though the OS showed it OK, i couldn't activate the eth0 or even run any commands in terminal to really show anything!

Realizing after fully checking, I decided to go back to YDL 3.0 which is hard to find!!

This worked!! The missing stuff from YDL 4.0 showed up for me on YDL 3.0.
I'm posting from my YDL on my B+W G3 right now!!!

Thanks TerraSoft!! This works so much better then when I found this unit broken hidden in a serverroom. New life for a great system!! They didn't even teach this in my A+ studies so this is a real treat as well!

Kent C.
kentc
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation