Formatting Hard Drive?

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Formatting Hard Drive?

Postby finsfree » 01 Feb 2015, 17:44

So, after watching some youtube.com videos about installing Yellow Dog Linux on a PS3 it looks pretty basic. However, the 1st step is to format the hard drive...this is where my issue begins.

If I go to SETTINGS>SYSTEM SETTINGS>FORMAT UNTILITY I don't have the option to format the hard drive it just says, "format system storage"

So, how can I format the hard drive to "Allot 10GB to the other OS"? Do I need to turn something on?
finsfree
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Formatting Hard Drive?

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2015, 02:09

finsfree wrote:So, after watching some youtube.com videos about installing Yellow Dog Linux on a PS3 it looks pretty basic. However, the 1st step is to format the hard drive...this is where my issue begins.

If I go to SETTINGS>SYSTEM SETTINGS>FORMAT UNTILITY I don't have the option to format the hard drive it just says, "format system storage"

So, how can I format the hard drive to "Allot 10GB to the other OS"? Do I need to turn something on?

Hi finsfree,

You don't mention which PS3 you're using - or what system software you're running - but it sounds like you don't have the correct model to run Linux.

Basically - to run PS3 Linux, you need to have:

1. A PS3 "phat". Linux was never an option on the slims or superslims
  2. A system OS earlier than 3.21. PS3 Linux was removed in Firmware update 3.21.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. We have a historical post about the removal of Linux here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation