YDL 6.2 installation freezes mid install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.2 installation freezes mid install

Postby SirJack » 15 Jul 2017, 18:53

I have a Mac G4 1.3 that I am trying to load YDL 6.2 onto.

I have downloaded the ISO and burned a DVD.

Everything works up to a point and stops. If I use the graphical installer, everything works fine until about 50 of the packages (the last package is something to do with DVD...) are loaded and then the screen goes black and I see the X for the mouse cursor. The mouse doesn't work, the keyboard doesn't work and the only button that works is the reboot button. Once I reboot, it tries to start up and comes to a point and says the install is incomplete and it unmounts and leaves me at at useless terminal window.

If I install using the text installer it gets up to the point where it checks compatibility and stops. It offers a different reason every time. One is "an error occurred unmounting the CD. Please make sure you are not accessing /mnt/source from the shell on tty2 and then click OK to return." I can' figure out how to find out access tty2 without rebooting into open environment..

Next time it told me: "unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a missing repodata. please ensure that your install has been correctly generated. Failure: repodata/primary.sqlite.bz2 from anaconda-be-20090626057.ppc64 EERRNO 256 no more mirrors to try."

Last it just stopped and said "unable to instantiate an X hardware state object"

So--- what am I doing wrong (other than not sending this machine to the recycler and buying new hardware)?

Thanks.
SirJack
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation