Is the YDL PPC Party over?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Is the YDL PPC Party over?

Postby guitargirl » 19 Sep 2017, 02:26

Hello YDL Boards! I've run Linux Mint 16 on my Windows machines successfully for a few years, so I didn't think putting it on a second hand Mac would be a big deal. My goal with the machine is to be able to play music and watch youtube videos. This is my first Mac ever and researching it, I found I have a powerpc. Therefore I've spent the better part of the last two weeks going down the rabbit hole of Linux for PPC and all it entails.

Long story short, here's the machine: Power Mac G4 'Quicksilver', model #M8493, GeForce 2MX graphics, 768mb SDRAM, OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger), Kernel version Darwin 8.11.0, OS is installed on existing hard drive, I have no OS X install DVD.

I read elsewhere that one cannot install Linux on a Mac without also reinstalling OS X. Having no OS X install disc, I decided to try using the existing/installed OS X to format a second drive, then remove the first drive, and move that formatted 2nd drive into master position by itself, boot from disc and install Linux. To my astonishment, this worked and I now have Yellow Dog 6.2 running on the machine!

Next, I ran into the problem with the Yum repositories being outdated. I saw posts from PPietro and BillB about updating the entries. I don't quite understand how to do it, and need to figure that out. (not even sure of those other repositories are still active?) And then on to the youtube fixes I read about on the forum.

However...back to subject of my post...the general age of the posts on this forum concerns me. Am I too late? Is the YDL on PPC party over? It's been sad to read about distro after distro ending support for these old machines. :-(

I've learned a lot in my Linux for PPC experience and I don't regret the adventure. But I'm wondering if I'm going down a dead end road. I just hate discarding a machine that still runs well. Should I go down the Gentoo or OpenBSD road instead?

Thank you. :-)
guitargirl
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Is the YDL PPC Party over?

Postby Iguana » 08 Dec 2017, 21:46

I think you might be a few years too late for YellowDog Linux.

I grantee that you'll have better luck with something more mainstream like Debian, CentOS, or possibly Free/OpenBSD? The packages in those should be more updated?

Anyway, I hope you find an updated OS that works for you!
PS3 CECHLO1
GNOME Desktop
Yellowdog Linux 6.2
ihome keyboard
ihome gaming mouse (red)
Iguana
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Beginner