System 8.6 Questions

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

System 8.6 Questions

Postby oleyeller » 09 Sep 2004, 03:03

Hi Everyone. I see there are about 90 some YellowDog enthusuiasts out there, and it looks as if I'm the latest. I realize that each of us has his or her own good reason(s) to use Linux ... and I have mine as well. (Uh, I only hope that no-one will ask WHY I'm doing this ... as I can think of nothing better to say ... just now ... than ... simply for the fun(?) of it.) But for starters, since I have ordered a YD 3.0 package from someone on E-Bay, can anyone tell me if it is possible to run YD 3.0 side by side with Mac OS 8.6 ? I really need to keep 8.6 on my system as I run an old Hypercard program that can't use any of the 9.X systems. Also, if 8.6 will work, and I don't have the 8.6 system cd's, and only have access to 8.6 that is the working system on another computer, is there any way I can use this other computers operating system instead of buying a set of 8.6 CD's ? Thanks.
oleyeller
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby trash » 09 Sep 2004, 04:35

Hi, I miss 8.6 lol.. IMO it is better than 9 and I would keep it anyway if i were you.

IF I remember correctly, I think I used to copy my system install of 8.5->8.6 onto a zip disk, which i just copied back onto my HD whenever I needed to reformat or partition.. double check if its possible though, it's been a while since i may have done this.

I would have done this because 8.6 was an upgrade for 8.5.1, which meant if I reinstalled my system 8.5.1 i needed to upgrade it to 8.6.. long process on a 6100 lol.

good luck
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Sep 2004, 13:42

A way to transfer the os from one computer to another is to use a program called Partimage http://www.partimage.org/ and use their SysResc-CD and make an image of the existing partition. As for running it side by side you can either dual boot or running MOL (mac-on-linux) which is installed with YDL http://www.maconlinux.org/ there's a link to their website. It basically allows you to run a session of the mac os inside a window. Also what are the specifics of the system you will be doing this on. Itll help a little with the set-up as far as old-world/new-world firmware and that stuff
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to Beginner