usb - memory - stick

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

usb - memory - stick

Postby paolo » 15 Sep 2004, 10:27

hello out there,

how can i read my usb-stick on ydl?

i didn't find an answer yet.

thanx
paolo
paolo
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 15 Sep 2004, 15:52

go to a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+fn (if you have it)+f1) this should put you into a cli enviroment (to get back hit the same key combination except f7 instead of f1) when your in the virtual terminal login as root and then plug in the usb-stick. there should be some messages scolling across the screen after a sec. the section you need to look for in that stuff will say something about device on /dev/sdx where x is most likely a but it maybe diff. on your system. After you find out where the system sees the stick at cd to /mnt (command: "cd /mnt") and make a directory where you want it to mount. type "mkdir name" where name=anything you want. after this is done you can mount the usb-stick there. To do this: "mount /dev/sdx /mnt/"name" (if it complains about setting a filesystem then: mount -t vfat /dev/sdx /mnt/"name" should work) That is assuming that the stick is formated in fat32 (most are) Personally I've only been able to read/write to my usb drives as root; if anyone knows the correct setting to put in fstab please tell me?
Hope this helps. As for further information on any of the commands I listed above just type: man "command" in any terminal and itll give you the manual pages on all of its command attributes and anything else it can do
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby kamika » 17 Sep 2004, 15:30

Hm, ydl 3.0.1 isn't too friendly to memory sticks.
Noticed it myself. It doesn't detect the device right.
Think this is a kernel issue??
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

usb - memory - stick

Postby Guest » 17 Sep 2004, 20:12

Not sure if it's kernel or not...though I've read that on some other boards out there. Supposedly YDL 4 will take care of this...not sure why.

I managed to mount a San Disk Cruzer Mini (256MB) thumb drive... once... and haven't been able to since. If I plug in my drive...system freezes. If I boot with the drive in, it's OK. If I remove the drive (even after "umount") my system freezes. It's never shown up on my desktop like the CDs do once I've "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom".

Something's gotta give. I need those thumb drives to exchange working files with my non-networked coworkers....

Postby Ben Ben » 22 Sep 2004, 12:09

In my opinion memory-stick problems can also depend on the type of mac.
With my powerbook bronze i got massive probs using any usb device (freezing when unplugging), on an i book there are no problems like this....
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

memory sticks readable only by root

Postby Ankou » 15 Oct 2004, 11:32

about memory stick readable only by root...

You just have to replace the option "owner" in fstab by the option "user" and mount it from your basic user log.

I had the same problem, and it worked fine on my ibook
Ankou

fstab entry for keydrive

Postby cepaea_nemoralis » 19 Oct 2004, 00:14

/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda4 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/sda /mnt/keydrive auto noauto,user 0 0

My fstab file is reproduced above. The last line is for the usb memory stick. It is a Kingston datatraveller, 256 MB. I use a blueberry iBook and YDL 3.01. I occasionally have a problem unmounting the drive, but I quite gnome and re-login into it and the drive unmounts with no problems. the above fstab file will allow any user to mount and unmount the drive.

I use a directory called "/mnt/keydrive" for my keydrive. "auto" refers to the filesystem. "user" allows the user who mounted the drive to unmount it.

My understanding is that the first device to be plugged into the USB port will be assigned "sda;" the second, "sdb," and so on, until you reboot, at which point the first device will be "sda," the second, "sdb," and so on. What I have done is just put each one in the right order each time I reboot. On another system, I have a zip drive and a usb floppy as well as a key drive. When i start up the machine, I insert each one in order; for instance, my usb drive is sda. so I put that in first, and then it works each time until I reboot again. I hardly ever reboot, so it's not inconvenient.

I hope this helps.

Perhaps someone still more experienced can inform us about whether you could get the thing to always work with a given drive letter, so you don't have to insert the drives in order.
cepaea_nemoralis
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner