Disabling screen-blanking?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Disabling screen-blanking?

Postby Dakidd » 17 Sep 2004, 12:31

Hiya folks...
Got a problem that might belong here, or might belong over on general, not sure which.

The monitor I've got hanging off of my PM7600 with a fresh install of YDL 3.0.1 gets freaky when the screen-blank kicks in, so I want/need to disable the blanking.

This happens both in the shell and KDE, although it's *REALLY* a mess in KDE - There, it seems that the screen-saver function switches resolutions/scanrates/whatever, and getting the monitor back is impossible without power-cycling the system. In the shell, the screen goes wonky when the blanking kicks in, but usually I can get things back without needed to power-cycle the machine.

As of right now, I'm running with my monitor set to "Apple Basic Color Monitor" (It's an old fixed-scan 14" from Apple - The label on the back calls it an "Apple Color Monitor") attached to the 7600's built-in video, which apparently detects as a card of type "Generic OF Compat".

If possible, I'd also like to know what I *SHOULD* be using for my video card setting. As I stand, it's "mostly usable", but it's far from "right" - KDE loses what I'd estimate to be an inch worth of the image off the right-hand side of the screen - I get a strip of that fuzzy, "ghostly" looking image that tells me the beam is bouncing off the inside of the CRT, kinda like if you've got a monitor that allows you to move/resize the image on the face of the monitor, and you crank it *WAY* over to one side or the other and start getting the beam deflected so far that it bounces off the glass of the tube before hitting the phosphors. I *KNOW* that's not correct behavior...
Dakidd
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner