lombard powerbook and PCMCIA wireless

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

lombard powerbook and PCMCIA wireless

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 14:08

First i just would like to say this is a badly needed resource for yellowdog, many thanks for starting this board up.

Now my question:
Tryingt to install ydl 3.0.1 on my lombard powerbook, when it boots up with the pcmcia wireless card in the ligth on it is on, however there is no card listed when i try /sbin/cardctl ident. suposedly if i insert the card while the laptop is on there is supposed to be a beep and it recognizes the card, that does not happen. When i install the card after boot up, there is no light on the pcmcia card, andi have to reboot to get it to start.

Any suggestions how to get this working ? recompile kernel?

Thanks again.
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 15 Jul 2004, 16:55

go to a virtual terminal and see what messages it prints on the screen when you first insert the card after a fresh start up/reboot if it recognizes the vendor and/or the chipset-device then the modules arent loading-if you get some unknown hardware message then you will need to find out the chipset of our card and compile the modules for it. Compiling a new kernel may not be necessary if there are appropriente drivers out there
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby ericpartington » 15 Jul 2004, 16:59

What log file should i be looking at to see these messages? /var/log/messages or something else? there is supposed to be a beep when the card is inserted to tell me that the card is recognized, but there is nothing and sound works fine.
the card is a farallon skyline 11 - which apparently is supported by the orinoco_cs module
ericpartington
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 15 Jul 2004, 17:10

yes.
/var/log/messages
is one way to go to.

dmesg
might give also some information.
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin