I don't get it...what exactly is Yellow Dog Linux good for?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

I don't get it...what exactly is Yellow Dog Linux good for?

Postby iluvmymactoo » 30 Sep 2004, 14:52

I've heard people talk about it, but I just don't get it.

What purpose does Yellow Dog Linux serve me? Is it better than using Mac or Windows OS?

On the website it says it has an emulator I can run Apple OSX on...does it run better than Windows XP does using VPC on my Mac?

I use Photoshop, Painter 8 and Macromedia can I use these still if I ave Yellow Dog installed as my OS?

Can someone please offer some clearer answers please.
PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz
iluvmymactoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 30 Sep 2004, 16:08

as you can see on the yellowdoglinux homepage
Linux is similar to Mac OS or MS Windows, or Sun Solaris in that it is an operating system. Linux is unique from other operating systems, however, in that the Linux source code (the underlying "stuff" that makes it all work) is freely available to anyone with minimal restrictions on how it is to be copied or used.

Yellow Dog Linux is built from the Red Hat Linux distribution. While Red Hat's primary focus is on x86 (Intel and IBM compatibles) computers, Yellow Dog Linux is for PowerPC (IBM and Motorola CPUs as used in Apple Macintosh computers).

So YDL is a linux running on Apple hardware.
And via MOL you can run YDL and you MacOS parallel.
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I don't get it...what exactly is Yellow Dog Linux good f

Postby delirious_d » 30 Sep 2004, 20:49

iluvmymactoo wrote:On the website it says it has an emulator I can run Apple OSX on...does it run better than Windows XP does using VPC on my Mac?

I've never used MOL, but from what I understand it's not really an emulator in the sense that VPC is -- that is, it's not running an emulated set of APIs -- so I'd assume it does work better than VPC.

iluvmymactoo wrote:I use Photoshop, Painter 8 and Macromedia can I use these still if I ave Yellow Dog installed as my OS?

None of those apps will run on Linux.
iBook G3 800, YDL 3.0.1
delirious_d
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby iluvmymactoo » 30 Sep 2004, 21:08

Thanks for your replies....

I realise YDL is an OS we've been talking a bit about Linux at College.

What would be the benefit of using it as opposed to say OSX or XP?

Delirius_d - you mentioned MOL is not running an emulated set of APIs so is should work better than VPC - can you explain what you mean please.

I read on the YDL that if I use MOL I can run Photoshop, Macrodmedia etc via my emulated OSX so I'm interested to know mor beyond that which is described in the YDL site.

Thanks
PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz
iluvmymactoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 01 Oct 2004, 00:54

Basically most people run linux to have the freedom and configurablility only it can provide. You have infinite choices in just about everything.

Secondly, MOL is not technically an emulator. Since linux and OSX are both derived from a common background (unix) they so share a few things well MOL provides sort of a clean enviroment for the new OS so start in. It just isolates the 2 operating systems enough so they dont interfere w/ each other. From what I've heard that there really isnt any performace penalty when running MOL. Another neat trick Ive heard you can to with MOL is to start another instance of linux-good if you have enough harddrive space to install a second linux and play around with it or have a test install w/o worring that you'll screw up your main install
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby iluvmymactoo » 01 Oct 2004, 13:20

So basically what you are saying is that I can have YDL on my PowerBook plus OSX and the sotware I like to use with no real disadvantage?

Presently I have VPC so I can run XP. I do that because when I design websites in OSX using Macromedia I can then test them under a windows platform as well.

Does YDL offer any advantages/disadvantages in that regard?
PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz
iluvmymactoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby trash » 01 Oct 2004, 14:03

Some images would speak volumes here, does anybody have some good pnp's to share?

here's another advantage for ya, you'll be able to test your websites and how they work in linux too:)... yes you will still be able to 'boot' XP in VPC in OSX on YDL.. hehe
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby iluvmymactoo » 01 Oct 2004, 23:14

In Linux too? :shock:

Ok now I'm really confused :lol:

So from what I understand if I have YDL installed I can have multiple OS's on my PowerBook?

This sounds way too good to be true. I mean it would be a dream come true for me if that is so.

I'm sorry to be a pain in the butt here asking so many questions, but I mean come on there has to be a catch right?

Obviously because I use MS Office 2004, Photoshop CS, Acrobat Professional, Macromedia Studio MX 2004 and Corel Painter 8 to do most of my work I need to be able to run these with no problems or slow up. So what you're saying is with YDL I can do that under OSX with no issues at all?

I suppose VPC will run XP exactly as it does now on OSX not any slower because I have YDL installed?
PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz
iluvmymactoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby leapoffaith » 02 Oct 2004, 02:58

I haven't run into any problems using MOL, and I've used it for Photoshop, Lightwave and Dreamweaver. One big caveat with MOL is that, if you have a dual-processor Mac, only one processor will be detected. I have tried VPC, and it works about as well as it ever has. As far as the Mac side is concerned, you're not even running YDL.

iluvmymactoo wrote:Obviously because I use MS Office 2004, Photoshop CS, Acrobat Professional, Macromedia Studio MX 2004 and Corel Painter 8 to do most of my work I need to be able to run these with no problems or slow up. So what you're saying is with YDL I can do that under OSX with no issues at all?

I suppose VPC will run XP exactly as it does now on OSX not any slower because I have YDL installed?
leapoffaith
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Robocoastie » 06 Oct 2004, 14:00

I'm new to this board but you're two questions are typical to *nix newbies regardless of hardware platform...

What would be the benefit of using it as opposed to say OSX or XP?

breathes life into old hardware, keeps your older hardware running while still being able to use bleeding edge apps by sacrificing all the eye candy of OS-X or WinXP (for wintel users), gives you control of your computer again something you likely havn't truely had since the days of the C64 or Apple 2 the list could go on and on.

Delirius_d - you mentioned MOL is not running an emulated set of APIs so is should work better than VPC - can you explain what you mean please.

emulation has to do with hardware not software. That's why on pc linux WINE stands for "wine isn't an emulator". since MOL is running mac hardware based software on mac hardware there is no emulation you are in effect just running two os's side by side.
Last edited by Robocoastie on 07 Oct 2004, 00:53, edited 2 times in total.
Robocoastie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

MOL on ydl

Postby paolo » 06 Oct 2004, 18:29

by the way. macromedia - programms are running fine, but my sound (stocking) and videos are not running fine in MOL... is this normal?

thanx
paolo
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner