how to use apt-get/yum

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

how to use apt-get/yum

Postby mulescent » 08 Oct 2004, 23:54

I am new to debian/YDL and have a really basic question. I want to install Firefox, and know that I can "get the right rpm" from freshrpms.net. However, how do I actually install it?

Do I need to put freshrpms.net into my /etc/apt/sources.list so that I can just type "apt-get update | apt-get firefox"

or can I just somehow download the specific rpm I want and tell apt-get or yum to actually install it?

Thanks!
mulescent

Postby trash » 09 Oct 2004, 00:53

A couple of people have posted on this forum what url's are in their sources list, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it, once you add the right url to your sources list you can..

apt-get install firefox
or
yum install firefox

check out previous threads, search firefox maybe:)
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Oct 2004, 04:13

Or provided that you can keep track of the current releases, have all the dependencies and save the rpm of the installed ver. you can just open up a terminal and switch to root type "rpm -i program.rpm" You'll need to read the man pages as to the other options availible.

<edit>I always suggest keep the install medium of the stuff you install outside of yum (be it source code, or rpm packages) so if you ever need to you can uninstall it</edit>
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby trash » 09 Oct 2004, 04:43

StarKnight83 wrote:<edit>I always suggest keep the install medium of the stuff you install outside of yum (be it source code, or rpm packages) so if you ever need to you can uninstall it</edit>

Sounds like good advice Star, i'm curious though doesn't yum remove take care of that or are there other issues?
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Oct 2004, 04:49

It does, but only on packages that are in its database; so if you install say a package such as dillo (a really good simple webbrowser) from rpm (which is not in yum's db) then I dont believe that it can remove it.
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby trash » 09 Oct 2004, 05:01

Ah ok, i never had that problem because after adding a url to my sources i do a yum update... kinda silly i guess as it would add a ton of stuff i probably would not need. thanks!

yes dillo is a sweet lil browser, it was installed with delilinux on my lil toshiba:)
http://delilinux.berlios.de
6100,g3,g4
trash
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner