compiling

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

compiling

Postby herograw » 23 Oct 2004, 00:06

Forgive the newbie question, but I am in fact new to YDL:

how do I go about compiling apps from source?

whenever I try to ./configure it says that I do not have gcc or cc.

Of course, if I would like to have gcc installed on my system, it needs to be compiled, which means I have to have a compiler already. This concept confuses me.

Thanks in advance,
-rob
herograw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 23 Oct 2004, 04:48

actuallly if you use yum or get an rpm off the net they use precompiled binarys. Id suggest to use yum over just a rpm install so you dont mess up the dependencies of your system

<edit>Also watch the F.A.Q section over the next few days ill be posting the first set of faq/how-tos there shortly</edit>
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby slightly » 03 Dec 2004, 22:26

StarKnight83 wrote:actuallly if you use yum or get an rpm off the net they use precompiled binarys.

Is there a known incompatibility with yum and YDL4 at the moment? I notice there's another thread that mentions a problem updating any packages, but I can't believe YDL4 would be released without the capacity to update the system. I too am trying to update packages (I don't seem to have dhcpcd, for one thing, so I need gcc to compile it) but both the GUI package updater and CLI yum quit after downloading headers.

In the absence of yum, what other package manager can I use to ensure that dependencies are respected?

Thanks for any info.

Matt
slightly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 03 Dec 2004, 23:05

Are you connecting to the public servers or an enhanced ydl.net server for your yum updates?
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby slightly » 04 Dec 2004, 03:21

StarKnight83 wrote:Are you connecting to the public servers or an enhanced ydl.net server for your yum updates?

Public server. Right now it's set to ftp.yellowdoglinux.com - I actually don't know any others. Is there no public access to updates right now, or is that server just likely busy?
slightly
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner