YDL 3.0 on Imac 233/32

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

YDL 3.0 on Imac 233/32

Postby agesmike » 23 Oct 2004, 15:15

I am not new to Linux. I have used Redhat for years on PC's, and have used Mandrake 8.2 for the last year or so. I got a bondi blue Imac for a new toy, and have kicked my pc off my desk. I like this thing, Mac OS 8.5 isn't bad, but I miss Linux and some of the better apps. I bought a copy of YDL 3.0 off Ebay, and am awaiting it's arrival. I am curious if any of you are using it on the original Imac? I am specifically wondering about speed. I find myself drumming my fingers on the desk waiting for apps to open on this this (I plan on a RAM upgrade). On PC's although I love linux, I actually found the latest releases to be a little slower than Windows ME for example. So I am hoping that I won't find the same to be true with YDL v/s OS 8.5.
Thanks for any feedback.
Mike
agesmike
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 23 Oct 2004, 17:59

The only macs i have are ibooks (2 ibook se 466mhz and a ibook g4) the newer distros are typically geared towards the newer hardware-hence the speed issue. YDL does a very good job at providing legacy support and not sacraficing preformace too much. A ram upgrade typically helps a lot as well as running a window manager (windowmaker, fluxbox, blackbox) instead of desktop enviroment (kde, gnome) these are usually "lighter" and use less resouces.
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

ydl on a imac 233

Postby paolo » 25 Oct 2004, 11:11

hi there,

i'm using ydl 3 on a imac 233 with 64 ram. it is running stable, but i just use this mac as jukebox and for fun...
also all the common programms are running.
the installation run pretty smooth.

have fun
student for Applied Sciences
PowerBook 667, 30GB, 512 MB
YDL 3.0.1 / OS X 10.3.7
paolo
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner