FireWire on YDL

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

FireWire on YDL

Postby nephron » 05 Aug 2004, 16:02

How do I mount a FireWire Drive such as an iPod on YDL?
I saw an option in the KDE control panel tab "linux kernel" but i don't know how to use it.
nephron

firewire drive/ipod mounting

Postby ermanox » 06 Aug 2004, 06:00

Having read the many success stories on mounting iPods, across many webpages, I am still not able to mount mine. I know this is due to myself missing something along the way. So far I have recomplied the 2.4.26 kernel with all the good things like Firewire, SMP2, hfsplus support, and raw io 1394 support so I can get in the boot/dmesg text it to show a really vague message that it is seen by the kernel but then thats it. So is there is /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb device driver that these things attach to???? Thank you for any help. :)
ermanox
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 06 Aug 2004, 15:41

The default kernel in 3.0 has firewire and that stuff compiled in as modules; u need to make sure the right modules are loaded. Go to a virtual terminal and log in as root; type "modprobe ohci1394 && modprobe sbp2" some infomation should scroll across the screen. Pay attention for the part that says something about /dev/sdx. then "mount /dev/hdx /mnt/ipod (or whereever u want it mounted) The only thing i dont know about is which partition u need to mount.

if u want to see which modules are currently loaded login as root in a virtual terminal and type "lsmod" it should show which modules are loaded and used by what
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to Beginner