ps3 YDL themes?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

ps3 YDL themes?

Postby bleach553 » 19 Dec 2007, 19:25

I was wondering if you can get anythemes for ydl for the ps3 ex. mac or windows theme
bleach553
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: ps3 YDL themes?

Postby Flekken » 02 Jan 2009, 19:54

Bump.

Wondering about the same thing. Are there some Ubuntu themes for YDL? I have tried to Google it, but I dosen`t found anything.
Flekken
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: ps3 YDL themes?

Postby ppietro » 03 Jan 2009, 06:28

Flekken wrote:Bump.

Wondering about the same thing. Are there some Ubuntu themes for YDL? I have tried to Google it, but I dosen`t found anything.

It depends what you mean by Ubuntu theme.

Let me explain a couple of things about Unix (including Linux) and GUIs.

Unix, by default, does not include any kind of GUI. We use a program called X Windows to provide a graphical user environment.

However - X Windows - by default - only draws windows on the screen. All the rest of a modern GUI - scroll bars, close buttons, maximize buttons, etc. - are not defined. Instead, you load a program called a Window Manager to handle this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager

Now - window managers are pretty plain by themselves. After a while, folks started putting together some libraries that had cut and paste functions, system level libraries, etc. to extend the base functionality of the window managers. These are called desktop managers (or desktop environments)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_en ... dow_System

Okay - now we can discuss what you're asking.

YDL, Ubuntu and most other modern Linuxes run one of a few Desktop Environments - usually Enlightenment (E17), GNOME, Xfce and/or KDE. These desktop environments, in turn, run some sort of Window manager. This is the Unix equivalent to Microsoft Windows "themes".

YDL runs Enlightenment (E17) by default. So - first - you need to get YDL running the same desktop environment as Ubuntu. From peeking around Ubuntu's page, their default environment appears to be GNOME. You can switch to this in YDL almost immediately - I think it comes pre-installed by default. To do this, when you log in, select Sessions from the greeting screen, and pick GNOME, then log in as usual. This should make the desktop look pretty darn close to Ubuntu.

BTW - there are versions of all the major desktop environments available for YDL. You may need to add the extra repositories listed here:
viewtopic.php?t=3017
to be able to install them via Add/Remove Programs.

Now - GNOME does allow some extra customization as well. Unfortunately, they call them themes as well. There are some examples here:
http://art.gnome.org/themes
but I've never used them.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner