Need help with YDL

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Need help with YDL

Postby Kyuya » 06 Mar 2008, 03:49

Well i've just installed YDL 5.0.2 onto my PS3 and I have got the wireless working and a few other things as well. Recently, I tried to to enable mp3 formats by downloading gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.3-3.fc6.ppc.rpm ( I'm not sure if this is even what I need.) When I tried to install the rpm in terminal it gave me a big list if libs I needed to install. Now my question is are there any websites which I can find all of these libs?? I've been searching for them individually but I don't want to waste all that time if there are packages of these libs out there. Thank you for any help and support....

----Kyuya----
Kyuya
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Need help with YDL

Postby ppietro » 06 Mar 2008, 06:24

Kyuya wrote:Well i've just installed YDL 5.0.2 onto my PS3 and I have got the wireless working and a few other things as well. Recently, I tried to to enable mp3 formats by downloading gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.3-3.fc6.ppc.rpm ( I'm not sure if this is even what I need.) When I tried to install the rpm in terminal it gave me a big list if libs I needed to install. Now my question is are there any websites which I can find all of these libs?? I've been searching for them individually but I don't want to waste all that time if there are packages of these libs out there. Thank you for any help and support....

----Kyuya----

Hiya!

The dependencies for RPMs can be a nightmare to keep track of. Luckily for you, you're running YDL. This means that you can use a program called YUM to manage your RPMs and their dependencies. All you have to do is point YUM at central repositories (aka repos), tell it the software you want to install and it will handle all of it - finding and installing dependencies and everything else - for you. And since YUM uses RPMs, you don't have to worry about incompatible or non-standard installations - it's just the same as if you had found and installed all the files yourself. :)

If you head over to the PS3 forum, you'll find a "sticky" post at the top of the forum called: Howto: Install software (the easy way) that explains how to set up the extra repos you'll need and has a very quick guide on using YUM.

BTW - you need to set up extra repos to get certain types of software due to copyright and GPL license concerns. For example, things like MP3 playback are not covered under the standard Linux GPL Licenses and therefore not included in YDL - or RedHat or Fedora for that matter.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank You!

Postby Kyuya » 07 Mar 2008, 00:30

Thank you for the information, I was a bit clueless on the installation process, but now i'm getting the hang of it. But I do have ANOTHER question. Following the steps in the link that you provided I installed Real Player. After the installation Helix Player had dissapeared and the Real Player doesn't launch whenever I click on it, i'm also having the same problem with Frostwire. am I missing some plug-ins?? Usually if I am the installer will notify me and tell me what I need. I'm at a loss for this. All I want is for my mp3s to work! Once again, thank you for the help!

----Kyuya----
Kyuya
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Thank You!

Postby ppietro » 07 Mar 2008, 01:22

Kyuya wrote:Thank you for the information, I was a bit clueless on the installation process, but now i'm getting the hang of it. But I do have ANOTHER question. Following the steps in the link that you provided I installed Real Player. After the installation Helix Player had dissapeared and the Real Player doesn't launch whenever I click on it, i'm also having the same problem with Frostwire. am I missing some plug-ins?? Usually if I am the installer will notify me and tell me what I need. I'm at a loss for this. All I want is for my mp3s to work! Once again, thank you for the help!

----Kyuya----

Did you use YUM to install these? Or the Real RPMs from their website?

If you used the Real RPMs - all bets are off. ;)

Also - it's very easy to get the wrong Real RPMs. The last Real RPM for Linux PPC (not x86) is the old 10.0.0 build:

https://helixcommunity.org/projects/player/files/download/570

To play MP3s on PPC Linux, I would use something like XMMS. yum install xmms xmms-mp3 xmms-faad2 will get you started, I think.

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited by ppietro on 07 Mar 2008, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2008, 01:23

This post should help you with Frostwire (you need to install IBM Java for it to work).

I'm not sure about Real Player, though ...
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2008, 01:24

Tag Team! :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 07 Mar 2008, 01:37

billb wrote:This post should help you with Frostwire (you need to install IBM Java for it to work).

I'm not sure about Real Player, though ...

I messed around with the last official build of Real Player for PPC Linux - the one I quoted earlier.

Mostly - except for MP3 playback - it's just as "broken"as Helix. It adds more video codec support - since Helix player doesn't included the copyrighted RealVideo codecs - but since there's no real Overlay plane support in the PS3's graphics driver, nothing shows up.

I think you might have to go back to one of the really ancient RealPlayer builds - possibly RealPlayer 8 - that might understand some kind of framebuffer display. And then, modern RealPlayer files probably wouldn't work with it anyway. :(

Eventually, I manually uninstalled everything, re-installed the default version of Helix Player that shipped with YDL 5.0.2, and copied over the copyrighted plug-ins from the RealPlayer 10.0.0 RPM. (You can use the RPM2CPIO command to extract the files from an RPM).

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 07 Mar 2008, 01:40

billb wrote:Tag Team! :lol:

Woo hoo! :P

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frostwire

Postby Kyuya » 07 Mar 2008, 11:29

Well, I have the app. starting through terminal now, but for some reason every time I launch Frostwire, I get this warning msg at the bottom.
Starting FrostWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
Suitable java version found [java = 1.5.0]
Configuring environment...
Loading FrostWire:
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Initializer).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
It keeps saying accross the top bar of the application Enabling Open Information Sharing and I can't download anything. Thank you for any support.

----Kyuya----
Kyuya
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Frostwire

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2008, 14:33

As I recall it did take a few minutes for it to initialize itself properly once you start it, but for me it worked OK with no additional effort.

You're starting it from your regular user account, right? (not as root)
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frostwire

Postby Kyuya » 07 Mar 2008, 22:58

Froswitre still will not connect, whenever I click on the direct connect button it says that I have a Firewall up or running through a router, I tried to straight connect the system from my cable box and disabled the firewall as well. This didn't work, is there anything I can do to force the connection?

----Kyuya----
Kyuya
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Mar 2008, 23:27

Kyuya wrote:Froswitre still will not connect, whenever I click on the direct connect button it says that I have a Firewall up or running through a router, I tried to straight connect the system from my cable box and disabled the firewall as well. This didn't work, is there anything I can do to force the connection?

----Kyuya----

Firewall on the cable box or firewall on the PS3? You may have both.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Frostwire

Postby Kyuya » 08 Mar 2008, 00:35

How do I check / turn off the firewall from the cable modem?
Kyuya
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 08 Mar 2008, 01:18

Kyuya wrote:How do I check / turn off the firewall from the cable modem?

Depends on the cable modem.

It might have a web interface, for example. My DSL has a web interface that you can turn things on and off.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby master-crown » 10 Mar 2008, 18:47

i got the same problem frostwire is installed
but i cant get a connection....
it says that iam behind a firewall but i have disabled the internal firewall of ydl ??
can somebody confirm that frostwire dont work on ydl 6.0 ??
master-crown
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Beginner