Need help installing software in YDL 6.0

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Need help installing software in YDL 6.0

Postby miniclip22 » 27 Apr 2008, 11:54

Hi, I'm using the YDL 6.0 and it seams really instable, it seams worse than Ubuntu Linux in RAM, it can't install anything in the add/remove programs, I simply can't install "yumex" (and yes, I've done the right command- "yum install yumex", I can't install most os the ppc stuff for YDL 6.0, I have lots os problems with this version. I've used YDL 5.0 and it simply went on nicelly :D. Can someone please tell me the selutions and advices? If you consider telling me to downgrade to YDL 5.0, please tell me the best download links (not torrents please!).

Thanks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby uncholowapo » 27 Apr 2008, 14:36

Have you installed the extra repos that are neccesary to install extra software? If not you can get the ezrepos.rpm here so that it can do it for you made by our moderator billb.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 27 Apr 2008, 16:55

uncholowapo wrote:Have you installed the extra repos that are neccesary to install extra software? If not you can get the ezrepos.rpm here so that it can do it for you made by our moderator billb.

Let's get in the habit of linking to the Howto: Install software thread instead -- eventually I'll update that ezrepos file to a new version (like ezrepos-3 ...) and direct links to the old version will be broken. I can manage updating the link in one place much easier. :wink:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncholowapo » 27 Apr 2008, 17:17

Ok. Cool
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Need help installing software in YDL 6.0

Postby ppietro » 27 Apr 2008, 20:34

miniclip22 wrote:Hi, I'm using the YDL 6.0 and it seams really instable, it seams worse than Ubuntu Linux in RAM, it can't install anything in the add/remove programs, I simply can't install "yumex" (and yes, I've done the right command- "yum install yumex", I can't install most os the ppc stuff for YDL 6.0, I have lots os problems with this version. I've used YDL 5.0 and it simply went on nicelly :D. Can someone please tell me the selutions and advices? If you consider telling me to downgrade to YDL 5.0, please tell me the best download links (not torrents please!).

Thanks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well - YDL 6.0 is quite a change from previous versions of YDL. Specifically, the codebase has shifted from Fedora to RedHat Enterprise Linux (via CentOS). So - it's not quite as polished as YDL 5.0.x. :)

On the other hand, it should pay good dividends in the long run - CentOS is very stable and code is upgraded on a much more conservative schedule. One of the downsides is that it doesn't include as many packages as Fedora - it's designed for maximum stability. That's probably why you can't load Yumex by default.

So - that's the "why" of what some of the differences are - now let's look at your questions. You mention Ubuntu and the ease of adding software to that distro. That is because Ubuntu has a slightly different concept of copyright law - they make deals with copyright holders, etc. - that allow them to include software like MP3 in the distro.

All RedHat based distros - Fedora, CentOS, YDL, etc - only include fully Open Source code in their distros. Specifically everything in YDL uses the GPL license.

I discuss all of this stuff ad-nauseum here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=11293#11293
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=10239#10239
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=13884#13884
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=9996#9996

So - the RedHat solution is to have users add manually repos that include these extra programs. The other replies to your question describe how to add them.

One thing about YDL is that they use the E17 (aka Enlightenment) window manager by default. You can change this at the login screen using the Session command. You should try Gnome - that's what Ubuntu uses. This will make the system seem a lot more snappy. If you need it snappier, try using Xfce - it's available for YDL 6.0 from the extra repos.

So - in summary:
1. Add the extra repos to your YDL 6.0 installation.
2. Switch to Gnome from the login screen.
3. (optional) add Xfce and try that.

Finally - it's very easy to find 5.0 - it's on all the major YDL mirrors. And these aren't torrents either. If you do decide to downgrade to 5.0 - I'd suggest 5.0.1. It seems to work the best on the PS3. You will still need to add the extra repos to 5.0.1 to unlock all of the functionality.

Mirrors here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/downloads/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby miniclip22 » 27 Apr 2008, 22:56

THanks you very much for your kick support. I quit using Ubuntu for Ps3, because it isn't as stable as YDL and I got a way to get my most valuable applications thanks to these pages. Thanks again. I now want to find a way to get java and flash to work on firefox, is that possible? I use version 2.0.0 of firefox. Thank you.
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 28 Apr 2008, 03:01

miniclip22 wrote:THanks you very much for your kick support. I quit using Ubuntu for Ps3, because it isn't as stable as YDL and I got a way to get my most valuable applications thanks to these pages. Thanks again. I now want to find a way to get java and flash to work on firefox, is that possible? I use version 2.0.0 of firefox. Thank you.

Of course!

We have a really good section dedicated to the PS3 on this very forum:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewforum.php?f=19

You'll find a lot of your questions answered there - not here in the beginners forum.

Of particular note:

How to install software the easy way (YDL 6.0)
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017

and

Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2274

This last post has links to help you set up Java and Flash for Firefox 2.0.

Java:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2935

Flash (swfdec):
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3037

NOTE: There is no official Adobe Flash for PowerPC based Linux. The offical Adobe Flash binaries are for x86 Linux or PowerPC Mac OS. So - we have to use Open Source clone software - either gnash or swfdec. Gnash is the most feature complete - but it has issues with video. Assuming you want to be able to view YouTube, you'll want to follow the swfdec instructions linked above.

If you feel like trying Gnash, I'm trying to get it to work with YouTube. Currently, I'm here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3389

You may also want to try Opera. I have a good thread on getting Java to work with Opera here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2944

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need help with Limewire and a media player

Postby miniclip22 » 30 Apr 2008, 18:29

Hi, I have all the repos, but I install vlc in the terminal "yum install vlc", it installs but fails to start. I try to install mplayer and it doesn't find. Can you give me the code to a beginner for installing any media player? Best media players would be good. Thanks you very much for your extended support. YOU ROCK!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Besides this, I need a way to download music and stuff, so I really need limewire (I already have amule)! Please give me a way of installing it. Thanks for your quick replies and support.
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Need help with Limewire and a media player

Postby ppietro » 30 Apr 2008, 18:59

miniclip22 wrote:Hi, I have all the repos, but I install vlc in the terminal "yum install vlc", it installs but fails to start. I try to install mplayer and it doesn't find. Can you give me the code to a beginner for installing any media player? Best media players would be good. Thanks you very much for your extended support. YOU ROCK!!!!! :D :D

Besides this, I need a way to download music and stuff, so I really need limewire (I already have amule)! Please give me a way of installing it. Thanks for your quick replies and support.

Sounds like your repos are messed up somehow. billb is better at troubleshooting repo issues, so I'll leave that part of the post to him :)

I can answer the second part. Limewire is too big and bloated for the memory footprint of the PS3. I got it to load - but never to run. Instead, you'll want to use Frostwire. Also, Limewire and Frostwire are both Java based applications - you can increase performance by using Java 5.0 instead of 6.0 - 5.0 has a smaller memory footprint.

I've got a summary of installing Frostwire with Java 6.0 here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=12117#12117

With Java 5.0, the symbolic link step would be:
Code: Select all
[paulp@yurie bin]$ su -
Password:
[root@yurie ~]# cd /usr/local/bin
[root@yurie bin]# ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/java

Also - you should really be posting these questions in the PS3 forum - since you're using a PS3, you will get quicker responses there. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby miniclip22 » 02 May 2008, 20:18

Once again, thank you for your support. I am worried about skype, I need it bad. Can you find way of installing it in Yellow Dog Linux 6.0? Thanks a lot for your support. Another thing, I have a Motorola V3xxv (Or just V3xx) and I need an application where I can send Sms and MMS (if possible). I need most SMS, via my phone, like the Motoroll applications "Motorola Phone Tools". Once agian, I just need the SMS and mms functuality. Thanks you!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby miniclip22 » 02 May 2008, 20:22

I forgot to tell you another thing, I have an issue with Frostwire, I can't connect to the Internet and I did the port forwarding. Perhaps I've done something wrong. I followed the instructions in the post, but no luck. Can you perhaps give more explained instructions so I can configure? The block in frostwire reporting there is a firewall never disapears. That's my problem. Can you help me? Sorry for my bad English, and thanks for your Support!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 02 May 2008, 20:53

miniclip22 wrote:I forgot to tell you another thing, I have an issue with Frostwire, I can't connect to the Internet and I did the port forwarding. Perhaps I've done something wrong. I followed the instructions in the post, but no luck. Can you perhaps give more explained instructions so I can configure? The block in frostwire reporting there is a firewall never disapears. That's my problem. Can you help me? Sorry for my bad English, and thanks for your Support!!!!!:D:

Nope - that's about as detailed as I can give you. It can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes for that firewall to disappear. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

read one of my last posts please!!!

Postby miniclip22 » 03 May 2008, 00:15

Hi! Please read the post where I nee help with skype and motorola pc tools. Thank you. Another thing, the flash thing for firefox just crashes the browser and the os. I have to reboot the ps3 to work again. Can you please give me the solutions to these problems? Lastly, please read one of my last posts. Thank you very much!!
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: read one of my last posts please!!!

Postby ppietro » 03 May 2008, 00:39

miniclip22 wrote:Hi! Please read the post where I nee help with skype and motorola pc tools. Thank you. Another thing, the flash thing for firefox just crashes the browser and the os. I have to reboot the ps3 to work again. Can you please give me the solutions to these problems? Lastly, please read one of my last posts. Thank you very much!!

1. Bad news for skype. First, the official Linux client is x86 only - it won't work on the PowerPC core (PPC) of the Cell in the PS3. Also, skype requires Xv support - the PS3 has framebuffer graphics only.

The only PlayStation solution for Skype that I'm aware of is for the PSP. :) There may be some open source solutions - I have no idea about those. :(

2. Don't think there's any solution for Motorola PC tools either. It appears to be a Windows program only. :(

If you're trying to use your phone as a modem for your PS3, someone has reported some success here: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3300

SMS & MMS - I have no idea how to enable that capability for Linux. Perhaps someone else will jump in here.

3. Which Flash are you using? There is no Adobe Flash for PPC Linux - all the binaries for Adobe Flash for Linux on Adobe's site are x86 only. The only solutions for PPC Linux are the Open Source reverse engineered alternatives - gnash or swfdec. Gnash should be available via YUM. If you decide to use gnash, you'll need to install the gnash-plugin as well for Firefox. swfdec is available from the extra repos listed here: http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017

Neither Gnash or swfdec for PPC should crash your Firefox browswer, nor require a reset.

4. What about your last post(s) do you want me to read? I don't know what you're asking here. :?:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby miniclip22 » 03 May 2008, 10:45

Well, I need you to tell me if there is skype or something similar for ydl. Second, I need an application for sending mms and sms via my phone. Lastly, I installed correctly the swfdec and it crashes my firefox and opera browsers. Can you please tell me a solution to all this? Thanks
miniclip22
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Next

Return to Beginner