QEMU help me anyone please I want windows

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

QEMU help me anyone please I want windows

Postby billybobblecob » 21 May 2008, 03:59

Can someone please help me im tryna put qemu-windows on ydl but everytime I get this error:

fatal: cant read bootdisc

--its something like that can anyone help me?
I downloaded a bunch of win 98 and 95 .iso's img's and the bootdisk files from different sites.
I extracted all files and made a .iso using the imgburn
burned the .iso on a memorex DVD RW+ using imgburn and tried DVD decrypter. I also downloaded QEMU using yum and made an img on the harddrive using create-img.

I also have a couple ? if anyone can answer them
I heard ppl talkin bout kqemu is it the same? should i have d/l that instead?
after I made the harddrive image will it stay on the harddrive forever or until I delete qemu?
should I make another harddrive img? will the previous one be deleted?

if anyone can help I'd apreciate it cause I used alot of discs and all of them say the same thing "fatal:" did a newb get hit with a FATALITY or what. I want win 95 to play starcraft and my old win games.
Last edited by billybobblecob on 21 May 2008, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
billybobblecob
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: QEMU help me anyone please I want windows

Postby ppietro » 21 May 2008, 04:18

billybobblecob wrote:I downloaded a bunch of win 98 and 95 .iso's img's and the bootdisk files from different sites. Best place though was [DELETED].

I hate to sound like an authority figure here (again) BUT:

Please don't post links to pirated software here!!!! This board does not support piracy of copyrighted materials in any way, shape or form.

Legally, at the bare minimum, you must have a purchased, licensed copy of Windows from Microsoft or an authorized OEM vendor to install into your QEMU installation. These images must not be duplicated or transmitted to any other person(s) by any means.

Heck - that may not even be enough - Microsoft's software agreements are very complex - especially in regards to virtual machines - and I am not a lawyer!

Like I've said before - I hate to post messages like this - but there's severe legal penalties Yellow Dog can incur with posts like this. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: QEMU help me anyone please I want windows

Postby billb » 21 May 2008, 05:08

I agree with Paul re: posting links to sites like that.

Have you seen this thread re: installing Win98 / QEMU on the PS3? Lots of info there ...

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=2408

You should be able to boot from CD (actually just the .iso file, no need to burn the .iso to CD) for Windows 98. For Win 95, I believe you'll need to get DOS installed on your hard drive img first along with CD support (a "cdrom.sys" driver in CONFIG.SYS and mscdex in AUTOEXEC.BAT).

The kqemu accelerator is for x86 only and won't work on the PS3 (PPC).

A hard drive image created by qemu will stay on your drive until you delete it. The qcow2 format is an "expanding" format so it grows as you install more stuff on it.

Anyway ... better to ask for help with it in the thread I linked above than here.

I have some tips on my blog re: this too:
http://blogs.ydl.net/billb/2008/05/05/w ... mu-on-ps3/

Good luck!
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billybobblecob » 21 May 2008, 16:38

thanks Im going to keep trying my semsters over so I got more free time now. До скорого Peace
billybobblecob
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner