10GB to the PS3?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

10GB to the PS3?

Postby ADPRedman » 30 May 2008, 17:18

Newbie to YDL 6.0. Just installed it on my PS3. I replaced the small 40GB HDD with a Seagate 250GB HDD. During the YDL install process in the GameOS, the XMB asked me to "Allot 10GB to the PS3" or "Allot 10GB to the other OS". How can I split the HDD up evenly between PS3 and YDL? 10GB isn't enough in my opinion for either PS3 or YDL.
ADPRedman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: 10GB to the PS3?

Postby ppietro » 30 May 2008, 22:08

ADPRedman wrote:Newbie to YDL 6.0. Just installed it on my PS3. I replaced the small 40GB HDD with a Seagate 250GB HDD. During the YDL install process in the GameOS, the XMB asked me to "Allot 10GB to the PS3" or "Allot 10GB to the other OS". How can I split the HDD up evenly between PS3 and YDL? 10GB isn't enough in my opinion for either PS3 or YDL.

Unfortunately, you can't. Those are the only two options you have.

Weird, isn't it? :roll:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Aug 2008, 16:07

ADPRedman wrote:How can I split the HDD up evenly between PS3 and YDL? 10GB isn't enough in my opinion for either PS3 or YDL.

It isn't, and you can't. I've complained to Sony about the partitioning scheme. I personally held my nose and devoted 10GB to GameOS.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby timfoe65 » 14 Aug 2008, 18:54

What you could try to do is get an external usb hard drive or just a thumb drive and manually save to that?? idk if it will work or not but worth a try?
timfoe65
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Aug 2008, 19:02

timfoe65 wrote:What you could try to do is get an external usb hard drive or just a thumb drive and manually save to that?? idk if it will work or not but worth a try?

That's true, of course, but that's not the question here.

Some folks are putting large hard drives in their PS3s - with Sony's blessing - but find that they still can only allocate 10 gig to Linux or 10 gig to PS3.

On a 20 gig drive, this might be reasonable, but on a 250 gig drive? This seems like a rather bizarre limitation to me. :lol:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CLIFFO_83 » 18 Aug 2008, 13:25

well then what is the point of installing a larger HDD in my ps3 if I can only use 10gb on ps3 and linux. it would be more logical to use a 500gb external hdd instead, wouldnt it?
CLIFFO_83
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 18 Aug 2008, 13:34

CLIFFO_83 wrote:well then what is the point of installing a larger HDD in my ps3 if I can only use 10gb on ps3 and linux. it would be more logical to use a 500gb external hdd instead, wouldnt it?

First, that should read "10 gb on ps3 OR linux" ... not AND ... you're just limited in how you divide the space.

And it depends on how you use your PS3 ... I have a 200 GB drive with 10 GB dedicated to Linux and the rest to the Game OS. Before I had just a 60 GB drive set up the same way and I was already running out of space for PS3 Games, movies, demos, add-ons, etc... now I don't have to worry about it.

YDL is not easily installed to an external drive (haven't read any success stories on this, but I'd think it's possible), and if were able to install it to an external drive it would be slower than the internal drive. Using an external drive to store extra data is fine, of course.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CLIFFO_83 » 18 Aug 2008, 18:48

ok I get it now, expect me to bug you for awhile until I get used to running linux lol.

ps: sorry for double posting
CLIFFO_83
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby CronoCloud » 19 Aug 2008, 07:56

billb wrote:
And it depends on how you use your PS3 ... I have a 200 GB drive with 10 GB dedicated to Linux and the rest to the Game OS. Before I had just a 60 GB drive set up the same way and I was already running out of space for PS3 Games, movies, demos, add-ons, etc... now I don't have to worry about it.

I did it the other way because I knew I'd need more than 10GB for Linux. I'm feeling the pinch in GameOS. I need another PS3...just for gaming, swapping drives would be annoying. I had two PS2's, one that just ran Linux 24/7 and another for games, until "midgar" (my linux PS2) had to get DRE's to prevent the RTE disc from booting. Then I had to switch HD's.

YDL is not easily installed to an external drive (haven't read any success stories on this, but I'd think it's possible), and if were able to install it to an external drive it would be slower than the internal drive. Using an external drive to store extra data is fine, of course.

[/quote]

I think I saw a page somewhere where someone had done it. It was slower, like you said, so if memory serves me correctly they reinstalled on the internal drive.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby flem » 04 Sep 2008, 11:48

Thanks for the advise guys, this is the reason I signed up, to find out if there was a way define the partition. I was hoping to allocate 120gb to the PS3 and the rest of the 320GB drive to linux :(
This is disappointing to say the least, so I take it even though the install guide suggests to allocate the majority of the drive to YDL, it is best to ignore this and allocate more to the PS3 :?: Before I installed the new 320GB drive I used the back-up feature on the PS3, my back-up data is 4.6gb, once restored thats nearly all 10gb gone :!:
I'm not even sure if it is even worth while going ahead and installing YDL now as what good is 10gb to run an OS. This is far to limited :cry:

EDIT
:idea: Is it possible to partition the drive and install YDL using a PC or laptop before inserting it into the PS3 :?: Then using the remainder of the drive for the GameOS :!: Will the PS3 recognise the YDL install or will it automatically format the drive when reinserted into the PS3 :?:
flem
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 Sep 2008, 03:31

flem wrote: :idea: Is it possible to partition the drive and install YDL using a PC or laptop before inserting it into the PS3 :?: Then using the remainder of the drive for the GameOS :!: Will the PS3 recognise the YDL install or will it automatically format the drive when reinserted into the PS3 :?:

Nope - the PS3 uses a unique partitioning scheme. Also - it encrypts the entire drive. Still - there's nothing to stop you from trying it, I guess. My guess is that it will re-format the drive when you re-insert it into the PS3.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no way around this. Sorry. :(

flem wrote:I'm not even sure if it is even worth while going ahead and installing YDL now as what good is 10gb to run an OS. This is far to limited

Well - except that this is Linux, not Windows. You can still do quite a bit with 10 gigs of Linux. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby unRheal » 14 Dec 2008, 06:53

ppietro wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there's no way around this. Sorry. :(

Ya, this was a huge disappointment when I found out... I can only imagine that the same moron over at Sony who installed the rootkits on some of their audio CD's a while back somehow got his grubby little paws onto the code for creating partitions with the PS3... and he's laughing to himself... "Sure... they can have Linux on their PS3, but I'll cripple their efforts by limiting one partition to 10GB!"

I sort of just forgot about it for a few months since my first try when I found out... but I'm thinking now - I wonder if you just install your base Linux OS and swap on the 10GB partition, and then used and external USB drive for extra space/apps/data. That might not turn out too awful...(?) Anyone done that?

I might just give it a go and see how it goes - I happen to have a spare 1TB external USB drive.. I'm just a little concerned about USB stability, but thinking that it won't have the core OS stuff or swap on it, it might be sufficient. (and technically, USB 2 at 480Gbits/s is more bandwidth than a standard SATA drive can use - I think with overhead and real-world performance... the USB drive will still be a bit slower, but it may not be much... hard to say for sure without testing)

What do you think?

Cheers
unRheal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Janx » 07 Jan 2009, 21:58

10GB choice for PS3 or linux, that sux.

barring music or videos, user data really isn't that big on any system I've ever worked with (some exceptions). So 2GB is a lot of space for docs, game saves, pics. Not enough for everybody, but usually good. From there it's installed game patches and installed programs/games that suck up disk space.

Meaning, you might be fine with 10GB for linux, if you like the base install, and don't add on too much. You can always keep media files on external drive (which would be available in PS3 and linux mode). You could possibly install extra programs on the external drive as well, if need be.

Since some PS3 games install to disc, you're going to start needing more than 10GB for PS3. If it was JUST game saves, 10GB is more than enough.

personally, thats what I think I'm going to do. 10GB for linux, script a copy to the USB drive for the /home tree, for when I attach the drive. Good enough to get more space, access to media files.
Janx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner