Cannot boot back into PS3 game os

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Cannot boot back into PS3 game os

Postby peetabix » 05 Jun 2008, 14:03

I tried install YDL 6 from the PS3 DVD image.
I appeard to go ok until i restarted and all i got was a kboot prompt. when i pressed enter (or wait a while) i starts to load and then hangs at "ps3-ehci-driver sb_05: usb bus 1 deregistered"

If i try to type ps3-boot-game-os at the kboot prompt i get the error

Code: Select all
get memory ranges 1
Cannot determine the file type of //sbin/ps3-boot-game-os
get memory ranges 1
ps3flash sb_03: ps3flash_read_write_sectors:48: read failed 0x2050000
os_area_header_read:61: read error: os_area_header.
Input/output error
main:551: os_area_read_hp error.
ERROR: can't change boot flag

What i really would like to do is to boot back into the ps3 game os and remove all traces of linux. Then try it again.

Can someone help me?
peetabix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Cannot boot back into PS3 game os

Postby ppietro » 05 Jun 2008, 17:52

peetabix wrote:I tried install YDL 6 from the PS3 DVD image.
I appeard to go ok until i restarted and all i got was a kboot prompt. when i pressed enter (or wait a while) i starts to load and then hangs at "ps3-ehci-driver sb_05: usb bus 1 deregistered"

If i try to type ps3-boot-game-os at the kboot prompt i get the error

Code: Select all
get memory ranges 1
get memory ranges 1
ps3flash sb_03: ps3flash_read_write_sectors:48: read failed 0x2050000
os_area_header_read:61: read error: os_area_header.
Input/output error
main:551: os_area_read_hp error.
ERROR: can't change boot flag

What i really would like to do is to boot back into the ps3 game os and remove all traces of linux. Then try it again.

Can someone help me?

There is an emergency PS3 GameOS restart method you can try.

1. Turn off the power with the switch on the back of the PS3.
2. Turn on the power with the switch on the back of the PS3.
3. Hold the "soft power" button down for about 5 seconds until the second beep.

This will reset all of your PS3 settings back to GameOS - including the GameOS video mode. In other words, the PS3 GameOS will load in SD - you'll need to reset if you're using HD. Linux will be unaffected.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peetabix » 05 Jun 2008, 18:12

ppietro wrote:
There is an emergency PS3 GameOS restart method you can try.

1. Turn off the power with the switch on the back of the PS3.
2. Turn on the power with the switch on the back of the PS3.
3. Hold the "soft power" button down for about 5 seconds until the second beep.

This will reset all of your PS3 settings back to GameOS - including the GameOS video mode. In other words, the PS3 GameOS will load in SD - you'll need to reset if you're using HD. Linux will be unaffected.

Cheers,
Paul

That worked! :)
Thankyou.

But does that mean that tyhe Linux partition still exists its just not being accessed anymore? If so can i get the 10GB back?
peetabix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 05 Jun 2008, 19:23

You can't uninstall the bootloader (the "otheros.bld" file you installed from the Game OS) so that will remain, but will never be used unless you change the Default OS from the XMB (it is stored in the PS3's flash memory).

To restore your hard drive back to Game OS partition ONLY you'd need to re-format and allot all space to the Game OS. You'll need to backup any data (saved games, installed games, media, etc) first before reformatting, then restore afterward.

When I back up I usually delete any junk I don't need (videos already watched, demos I don't want, etc) so the backup will be faster and take less space.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peetabix » 05 Jun 2008, 22:21

Ok.
Thanks again.
peetabix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby unRheal » 24 Aug 2008, 05:37

Essentially the same thing happened to me - I found this post searching for a "solution" - as in... I understand that holding the power button for 5 seconds when turning it on will reset it to boot the Game OS again... (since this is in fact what the "Guide to Installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for Playstation 3" says you can do to force it to boot back to the Game OS, if one were to hypothetically read said Guide...)

However... shouldn't the "ps3-boot-game-os" command have worked...? If I actually get Linux installed, am I going to have to basically force my PS3 back to Factory Defaults every time I want to get back to the Game OS?

Thought I'd put this up, in case anyone has any further info... since presumably I will eventually find out soon enough if I continue with the installation. (I wish I'd known you need to repartition the drive by *reformatting* it, since I'd only *just* put the new 250GB drive in, and thus had to format it and "upgrade" it (back) to 2.42 and restore my backed-up PS3 stuff... I may seriously resort to start reading instructions *before* doing things... some day... maybe...)
unRheal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 24 Aug 2008, 15:01

unRheal wrote:Essentially the same thing happened to me - I found this post searching for a "solution" - as in... I understand that holding the power button for 5 seconds when turning it on will reset it to boot the Game OS again... (since this is in fact what the "Guide to Installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for Playstation 3" says you can do to force it to boot back to the Game OS, if one were to hypothetically read said Guide...)

However... shouldn't the "ps3-boot-game-os" command have worked...? If I actually get Linux installed, am I going to have to basically force my PS3 back to Factory Defaults every time I want to get back to the Game OS?

I think the OP (original poster) hadn't actually installed YDL ... just the bootloader from the DVD. Once you install you'll have a menu item called "Boot Game OS" ... or you can just type game at the kboot prompt (the first thing that comes up before Linux starts to boot).

So ... no, you don't have to switch back to factory defaults every time you want to get back to the Game OS.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby unRheal » 24 Aug 2008, 23:39

Thanks for the reply, and the info... :)

That's sort of what I was expecting/hoping - but I was also just thinking that whatever that command "ps3-boot-game-os" actually does (apparently trying to read and/or write to/from the flash) ... would at least possibly be the same thing that the post-install commands/options did, or tried to do.. If you know what I mean...? Maybe the OP and I have some freaky hardware/software combination that causes the method that YDL tries to use to boot back to the game os ... to fail?

Anyway, I hope you're right and it'll all go smoother after the install! ;)

I was going to ask/mention some more stuff, but I don't want to completely commandeer the OP's thread, and should probably start a new one anyway.

Thanks again!

Cheers
unRheal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby killerninjamonkey » 12 Mar 2009, 14:19

billb wrote:
unRheal wrote:Essentially the same thing happened to me - I found this post searching for a "solution" - as in... I understand that holding the power button for 5 seconds when turning it on will reset it to boot the Game OS again... (since this is in fact what the "Guide to Installing Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 for Playstation 3" says you can do to force it to boot back to the Game OS, if one were to hypothetically read said Guide...)

I think the OP (original poster) hadn't actually installed YDL ... just the bootloader from the DVD. Once you install you'll have a menu item called "Boot Game OS" ... or you can just type game at the kboot prompt (the first thing that comes up before Linux starts to boot).

So ... no, you don't have to switch back to factory defaults every time you want to get back to the Game OS.

I just installed ydl 6.1 and the only option I have at kboot when I press tab is "linux." "ps3-boot-game-os" does not work. I had to reset factory defaults to boot it back into XMB. Is there a way around this? Such as editing /boot/yaboot.conf or something?
killerninjamonkey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2009, 16:46

killerninjamonkey wrote:I just installed ydl 6.1 and the only option I have at kboot when I press tab is "linux." "ps3-boot-game-os" does not work. I had to reset factory defaults to boot it back into XMB. Is there a way around this? Such as editing /boot/yaboot.conf or something?

In this case, you would type "game" or "ps3-boot-game-os" - it's not a tab option. Both of these work for me with a stock 6.1 install.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby killerninjamonkey » 12 Mar 2009, 17:02

ppietro wrote:
killerninjamonkey wrote:I just installed ydl 6.1 and the only option I have at kboot when I press tab is "linux." "ps3-boot-game-os" does not work. I had to reset factory defaults to boot it back into XMB. Is there a way around this? Such as editing /boot/yaboot.conf or something?

In this case, you would type "game" or "ps3-boot-game-os" - it's not a tab option. Both of these work for me with a stock 6.1 install.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks I will give that a try. Another question, what configuration file is this information stored in? How can I change kboot to boot XMB at the default timeout?
killerninjamonkey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2009, 18:53

killerninjamonkey wrote:Thanks I will give that a try. Another question, what configuration file is this information stored in?

So - the kboot: prompt recognizes some commands permanently stored in your PS3's firmware. This would be commands like "game", etc.

Then, it looks at /etc/yaboot.conf . This is where the TAB commands come into play - like "Linux".

You can create other boot entries. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3198&p=12521#p12521

NOTE: Even though the post says I haven't tested it in 6.0/6.1 - I have. It works great - I use it all the time.

Then, once you've installed YDL, some of the Linux commands will work from the kboot: prompt. I've tried things like ls, cd, etc.

However...

How can I change kboot to boot XMB at the default timeout?

I'm not sure this is possible. We've certainly never been able to do this. Sorry.

The issue is that the only configurable file - yaboot.conf - only boots kernel images. It doesn't let you execute commands, which is what you'd need to switch back to the XMB.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner