Installing Wireless tools

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Installing Wireless tools

Postby trickassfoo » 01 Oct 2008, 18:51

[MODERATOR EDIT: Please don't piggyback on other threads - for something like this you should start a new one. Otherwise, people won't bother reading it. I split this off and renamed it for you -Paul]

hi,I'm trying to install an older version of wireless tools but it won't let me because a newer version has already been installed. Can someone plea help me uninstall the older version? Greatly appreciated.
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing Wireless tools

Postby ppietro » 01 Oct 2008, 18:59

trickassfoo wrote:hi,I'm trying to install an older version of wireless tools but it won't let me because a newer version has already been installed. Can someone plea help me uninstall the older version? Greatly appreciated.

If you're using RPMs to install, try the --force option. That should make it overwrite the older one.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trickassfoo » 01 Oct 2008, 19:16

how would I go about writing this in the terminal?
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 Oct 2008, 01:17

trickassfoo wrote:how would I go about writing this in the terminal?

rpm -Uvh --force wireless-tools-<rest of package name>.rpm

So - if you're following the guide here:
http://dachaac.blogspot.com/2007/08/gui ... 3-ydl.html

That would be:
rpm -Uvh --force wireless-tools-28-1.ppc64.rpm

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trickassfoo » 06 Oct 2008, 06:25

t doesn't seem to be working for me, when I type this into the terminal it says: failed no such file or directory. I'm not connected to the internet as i don't have an Ethernet cord.
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Oct 2008, 08:28

trickassfoo wrote:t doesn't seem to be working for me, when I type this into the terminal it says: failed no such file or directory. I'm not connected to the internet as i don't have an Ethernet cord.

Well - you don't have to be connected to the internet for that to work. You *do* need to have the RPM downloaded to your PS3. Have you downloaded the wireless tools package RPM yet? You can use another computer to download this to a USB thumb drive or memory stick, and then access that from your PS3.

Are you trying to follow the procedure listed here? I'm assuming you're doing this because you're trying to use WPA, right?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trickassfoo » 06 Oct 2008, 16:55

I have downloaded the rpm package to my desktop via sd card. I'm using WEP and also another unprotected signal.
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Oct 2008, 21:07

trickassfoo wrote:I have downloaded the rpm package to my desktop via sd card.

So - you'd want to open a terminal window, then use the cd command to go to the RPM and execute the command. Since you downloaded the file to your Desktop, it is located on your hard drive in your home folder /Desktop (Note: Linux is case sensitive - you want Desktop, not desktop.)

e.g. if your login is ps3user, then your home directory is /home/ps3user and the desktop would be /home/ps3user/Desktop. So - assuming the RPM name is wireless-tools-28-1.ppc64.rpm, you'd do this from a terminal window:
Code: Select all
su -
<enter your root password>
cd /home/ps3user/Desktop
rpm -Uvh --force wireless-tools-28-1.ppc64.rpm

The only exception to this is root user. The home folder for root user is /root and the desktop would be /root/Desktop.

I'm using WEP and also another unprotected signal.

Wait - hold on. Are you trying to get WEP to work? Wireless tools compatible with that should already be loaded on your system. What is the output of this command?

Code: Select all
rpm -q wireless-tools

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trickassfoo » 07 Oct 2008, 20:43

wireless-tools-28-2
wireless-tools-28-1
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Oct 2008, 22:50

trickassfoo wrote:wireless-tools-28-2
wireless-tools-28-1

So - you should be good to follow the rest of the procedure here:
http://dachaac.blogspot.com/2007/08/gui ... 3-ydl.html

But - I'm still worried about the answer to this part of my previous question:

ppietro wrote:Wait - hold on. Are you trying to get WEP to work?

The only reason to install the older version of Wireless tools is if you're trying to get WPA to work. Otherwise - it's a very bad idea to install older versions over newer versions.

So - which are you trying to use - WEP or WPA?

Other
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trickassfoo » 09 Oct 2008, 06:17

ya, i finally got the wireless to work using WEP. i cant get a wired connection to work for my life haha. I was just told by somebody else that i had to get an older version of wireless tools b/c for some reason the one that came standard with 6.0 didn't work properly or something??!? anyways, thank you for all of your help and hostility ppietro, you've been patient with my stupid questions and unconventional methods. sorry for wasting so much time :? and you guys do a great job with the forums here.
trickassfoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Oct 2008, 19:39

trickassfoo wrote:ya, i finally got the wireless to work using WEP. i cant get a wired connection to work for my life haha. I was just told by somebody else that i had to get an older version of wireless tools b/c for some reason the one that came standard with 6.0 didn't work properly or something??!? anyways, thank you for all of your help and hostility ppietro, you've been patient with my stupid questions and unconventional methods. sorry for wasting so much time :? and you guys do a great job with the forums here.

No problem - I'm happy to help. :)

Just to archive this information in the thread - in case anyone searches this - your friend is incorrect. The tools that ship with 6.0 work properly for wireless networking - except for WPA. If you need to use WPA security, then you should load the old tools, otherwise, the default tools are all you need.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby markhauge » 06 Dec 2008, 15:40

Greetings! :D

I am trying to get WPA working in YDL 6, and have been following the tutorials posted above in this thread.

in terminal:

rpm -Uvh --force wireless-tools-28-1.ppc.64.rpm

results:

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

Any ideas what that means?

Thanks,

Mark
markhauge
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Dec 2008, 17:28

markhauge wrote:Greetings! :D

I am trying to get WPA working in YDL 6, and have been following the tutorials posted above in this thread.

in terminal:

rpm -Uvh --force wireless-tools-28-1.ppc.64.rpm

results:

error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000

Any ideas what that means?

I think that means you're not installing as root user.

Before you do this, are you typing in a su - to switch to root? (or logging in as root from the login screen?)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby markhauge » 06 Dec 2008, 18:21

I think that means you're not installing as root user.

Before you do this, are you typing in a su - to switch to root? (or logging in as root from the login screen?)

I logged as root and all my problems were solved. I am posting from ydl right now! 8)

Thanks,

Mark
markhauge
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Beginner