Installing Wireless tools

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Installing Wireless tools

Postby z1ppymat » 11 Jan 2009, 01:25

im completely new to linux and had a 40gig ps3 and upgraded hd to 250 i installed YDL 6.1 and the wireless issue accures i carnt use wired wish i could using netgear router and trying to install old file over new i downloaded the file wireless-tools-28-1.ppc64.rpm and put it on my usb flash drive and copy pasted it onto my YDL desktop and there it still sits i open terminal and key in su and enter pasword ......... now what do i do please help im new to this and need a dumb proof guide just to guide me through

PLEASE HELP i be bold by next week if i carry on
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Jan 2009, 10:36

z1ppymat wrote:im completely new to linux and had a 40gig ps3 and upgraded hd to 250 i installed YDL 6.1 and the wireless issue accures i carnt use wired wish i could using netgear router and trying to install old file over new i downloaded the file wireless-tools-28-1.ppc64.rpm and put it on my usb flash drive and copy pasted it onto my YDL desktop and there it still sits i open terminal and key in su and enter pasword ......... now what do i do please help im new to this and need a dumb proof guide just to guide me through

PLEASE HELP i be bold by next week if i carry on

Why do you think you need to download the wireless tools package?

In other words - are you trying to use WEP or WPA? You only need the tools package if you're trying to use WPA - and that might not be true for YDL 6.1 anymore. YDL 6.1 has a new wireless manager called wicd that can connect to WPA without adding the tools.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby z1ppymat » 11 Jan 2009, 13:31

i was looking in forums about it its wpa and just wont connect ive been through all settings and changed things around triple checked my wireless key and just will not connect do i have to uncheck the etho? im just so stuck and no means of me getting a wired connection it serches and finds my router ok and signal strength is good obtains ip ok but then it stops and states in the bottom of the window not connected on the manager
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby z1ppymat » 11 Jan 2009, 13:40

ive just read somewere that wpa psk are not supported? i think thats what i am is this true does this mean i will have to change settings in my router?
z1ppymat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Jan 2009, 20:14

z1ppymat wrote:ive just read somewere that wpa psk are not supported? i think thats what i am is this true does this mean i will have to change settings in my router?

Traditionally, WPA has not been supported. The workaround was to add an older, customized version of Wireless tools according to this website:
http://dachaac.blogspot.com/2007/08/gui ... 3-ydl.html

However, with YDL 6.1, there are rumors that the new wicd wireless manager can handle it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jonil » 19 Jan 2009, 19:43

I got WPA working using DeChaac's guide, but now remote X over ssh is flaky ( ssh -X app ). i get this kind of thing.

The program 'firefox' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
(Details: serial 13 error_code 2 request_code 152 minor_code 4)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
jonil
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Jan 2009, 23:14

jonil wrote:I got WPA working using DeChaac's guide,

Luckily you don't need it anymore. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534

and scroll down to the 3rd scenario. wicd handles wpa for you now, if you're using YDL 6.1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginner