Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

Postby vesh » 15 Oct 2008, 08:49

Hey guys. Ok first of all, my tv is just a regular 51cm tv that I can only use AV cables with. With a tv like this, will YDL defiantely not work? Would it work but look very bad, or look pretty much same example the text on it look same as text on ps3?
Also, how much hard drive space does it take up to install?

vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

Postby billb » 15 Oct 2008, 13:14

It will work ... you have to install in text mode and switch to graphic mode later. Do you have a PAL TV? If so, that's a little better than NTSC, I'd think, due to the higher vertical resolution. If you can use an S-VIDEO cable it will help make it a little more clear (same resolution, though). If you have a "progressive scan" TV that would be better, too, since the interlaced video mode makes it "flicker" a bit -- especially a problem for text. I don't think text will look as good in Linux as it does in the Game OS since they've done some things there to compensate for it.

The supported SD resolutions you can use are:

(576 x 384) (NTSC)
(576 x 460) (PAL)

Due to the low resolution, some applications will be difficult or impossible to use, but depending on what you want to do with Linux, it might be OK for you.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 16 Oct 2008, 00:06

Thanks man. I'm in Australia so my tv is PAL. I don't think it's a progressive scan tv I don't even though what on earth that is haha.
I would mainly use firefox, whatever messenger program it has and maybe check out GIMP. If I could with it might get some emulators for nes/snes possibly N64
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 16 Oct 2008, 13:58

I'd go with the 10 GB for YDL (there's only two options -- 10 to the Game OS or 10 to YDL and the rest goes to the other). I forgot to look the last time I installed ... I'd guess YDL takes around half of the 10 GB. I'd just check "software development" during the installation ... otherwise it will install the Open Office suite and some other programs you might not ever use -- then you can install what you want afterward using the "Add/Remove Software." Though you might not plan on doing any development, you may end up needing to compile an application you want and you'll need the development tools to do that. "pidgin" (formerly known as GAIM) is the included instant messenger app.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 18 Oct 2008, 08:56

Thanks for the reply. I don't understand what you mean by the 10gb bit though. Is that how much space YDL takes up on the hard drive after install?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 18 Oct 2008, 14:41

Before installation, you have to format the hard drive from the Game OS (backup any games, game saves and other data first -- you can use the backup utility for that). When you format it will give you the option to give 10 GB to the Other OS or 10 GB to the Game OS, and the remainder goes to the other side.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 19 Oct 2008, 01:43

Ah ok now I'm getting ya. So when backing up the game saves, do I need to put them on a usb or external hard drive then put them back after installation? I don't have an external hdd
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 19 Oct 2008, 06:27

vesh wrote:Ah ok now I'm getting ya. So when backing up the game saves, do I need to put them on a usb or external hard drive then put them back after installation? I don't have an external hdd

You should probably get an external hdd. The backup/restore utility for the PS3 normally backs up your entire PS3 drive.

The normal procedure is:
1. Backup your PS3 to an external, FAT32 USB hard drive.
2. Format/Partition your PS3 hard drive to create the Linux partition
3. Restore the data from the FAT32 USB hard disc to the PS3.

I don't have my PS3 in front of me, but I don't think you can back up PS3 game saves by themselves. You have to do a full backup, so a USB thumb drive is probably two small - unless you only have 4 gigs worth of data.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 19 Oct 2008, 13:56

Ah ok thanks mate.

Ok so we strat from beginning. Yellow Dog Linux can work on a crt tv that uses component cables if installed in text mode then some other thing. Before installing, back up the hard drive. When installing, put 10gb to YDL. Correct?
Also if I installed YDL on my current tv, if say in future I got a hdtv, would I then have to uninstall and install again to get the resolution right?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 19 Oct 2008, 14:29

vesh wrote:Ok so we strat from beginning. Yellow Dog Linux can work on a crt tv that uses component cables if installed in text mode then some other thing. Before installing, back up the hard drive. When installing, put 10gb to YDL. Correct?
Also if I installed YDL on my current tv, if say in future I got a hdtv, would I then have to uninstall and install again to get the resolution right?

If your crt tv usings component cables, that's great -- you should get a clear picture, but at the same low resolution (576i on your PAL TV). It will also work using the single composite video cable included with the PS3, or an S-Video cable (the ones for the PS2 will work on the PS3). The process for switching from text to graphic mode after installing is described here:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... p?f=5&t=19

Yes, 10 GB to YDL is best for most users who also like to use their PS3's for playing games, watching videos, etc. on the Game OS.

No, you don't have to re-install to change the resolution. That is done by editing a file called /etc/yaboot.conf. There are guides for this and other issues linked in the README post of the PS3 subforum.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 20 Oct 2008, 00:22

Thanks.

Woops I ment a crt tv that uses composite cables, not component. My bad :oops:
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 24 Oct 2008, 07:37

Yeah I'm heaps confused. I formatted the hard drive (I didn't back it up I don't really need to and I'm putting in a new hdd anyway) I did install other os and within a few seconds that was done then changed settings so ps3 boots with other os. Linux comes on with all that text and has kboot: at the bottom. What do I do? I thought it automatically goes into some text mode thing... is this the text mode? What do I do from here haha ahhhh
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 24 Oct 2008, 08:00

vesh wrote:Yeah I'm heaps confused. I formatted the hard drive (I didn't back it up I don't really need to and I'm putting in a new hdd anyway) I did install other os and within a few seconds that was done then changed settings so ps3 boots with other os. Linux comes on with all that text and has kboot: at the bottom. What do I do? I thought it automatically goes into some text mode thing... is this the text mode? What do I do from here haha ahhhh

Okay - here's how the YDL 6.0 installer works.

First - although this seems obvious it bears repeating - you have to have the YDL DVD in the drive throughout the entire procedure. (i.e. when you boot the other OS) Install other OS doesn't actually install Linux - it only installs the Linux bootloader.

Okay - next read thru this document:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... _guide.pdf

NOTE: When you get to the kboot section, it's not quite clear how that works. Basically, you use the TAB key at the kboot: prompt to select the install mode. Use either install_ps3_480i or install_text, depending on your TV. These options should appear when you TAB thru them.

I know you're using PAL - I'm hoping there's some kind of "install_576i" option. :D

Cheers,
Paul

(Edited above line - forgot it's install_ps3_480i, not install_480i)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 24 Oct 2008, 08:06

ahhh that tab button haha. do I do ppc32 text or 64? I'm guessing 32, how like pc's are either 32 (or x86?) or 64
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 24 Oct 2008, 08:08

oh and seems like no matter what when I press enter it shuts down the system
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Next

Return to Beginner