Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

Postby ppietro » 29 Oct 2008, 16:36

vesh wrote:So confused haha, sorry about all this :oops:

I opened a terminal and typed all that and well nothing lol. Am I suppose to type in that example as the path thing or suppose to be something else? What text am I suppose to delete?

Oh yeah with the hostname, I just named it the model of my router, is that right? Does that even matter? Someone wanna hack into my linux and do it all for me :lol: :roll:

No - the vi guide is a guide - as in "how to use vi".

You need to use vi to complete the steps outlined here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... ired.shtml

Specifically step 11:
Rebuild /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 from scratch if in doubt use this default (type "nano /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" to edit the file)

You would use vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to create the file. Then, skip steps 12, 13, & 14 since those are further vi commands. You would, instead, use vi to insert this text:
Code: Select all
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
then save the file.

As for your hostname, I'd give it a different name than your router, but it probably doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 30 Oct 2008, 04:32

Ah k.

I've actually restored my ps3 and will install from beginning. I got a hdtv now woo hdmi cable conected but not sure which install thing to choose when I choose ps3 1080i or 10809 the text is so tiny and unreadable 720p looked ok but not great like the "next" button is readable but doesn't look 100% just wanna know if I installed in 720p can I then change the resolution after install to test what looks best?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 30 Oct 2008, 05:23

vesh wrote:Ah k.

I've actually restored my ps3 and will install from beginning. I got a hdtv now woo hdmi cable conected but not sure which install thing to choose when I choose ps3 1080i or 10809 the text is so tiny and unreadable 720p looked ok but not great like the "next" button is readable but doesn't look 100% just wanna know if I installed in 720p can I then change the resolution after install to test what looks best?

Yes you can.

Look for instructions at the top of this PS3 forum:
viewforum.php?f=19

under the topic: Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help) . It should be under the PS3 Video YDL 6.0 HOWTO.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 30 Oct 2008, 07:55

Thanks

I tried that nano thing again, realised there should be a space between nano and the rest of the command.
The the thing opened so typed device= this and whatever else (sorry I'm not botheres to saye xactly what lol) and yeah same thing didn't work I'll try that other thing later but I noticed after I do the service network restart command there's a few failed texts showing up and said I think something like eth0 device not present
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 30 Oct 2008, 09:11

gah! I've tried it all and nothing works!
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 30 Oct 2008, 13:35

I might film with my phone and show you whats happening when I do all this
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 30 Oct 2008, 22:47

vesh wrote:Thanks

I tried that nano thing again, realised there should be a space between nano and the rest of the command.
The the thing opened so typed device= this and whatever else (sorry I'm not botheres to saye xactly what lol) and yeah same thing didn't work I'll try that other thing later but I noticed after I do the service network restart command there's a few failed texts showing up and said I think something like eth0 device not present

If you use nano to edit any config files, be sure to use the -w switch so it doesn't add extra line breaks. Example:

nano -w /path/to/file
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 31 Oct 2008, 00:51

Didn't make any difference :(

After I finish this I check devices and it says unknown device and with device 0 when I finish the terminal stuff it says no such device exists.

I'll film it all later hopefully it's clear
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 31 Oct 2008, 01:24

vesh wrote:Didn't make any difference :(

After I finish this I check devices and it says unknown device and with device 0 when I finish the terminal stuff it says no such device exists.

I'll film it all later hopefully it's clear

Nah - don't bother.

Couple more things to try. Do you have Wired or Wireless enabled on the PS3 GameOS side? They have to match - so if you want to use Wired in Linux, you have to be using Wired on GameOS.

Also - you mentioned you had ADSL. What type of connection does it use? If it's PPPoE, you might as well stop now. That's been notoriously difficult to work with in Linux. There are some solutions available, but they're beyond the scope of my ability to help you here.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 31 Oct 2008, 05:54

My PS3 uses a wired connection, I've been trying to use the wired tutorial

Is the ADSL connection same as protocol because when I type in the router address it shows PPPoA VC-Mux as a protocol (and PPPoE as another option)??
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 31 Oct 2008, 06:14

vesh wrote:My PS3 uses a wired connection, I've been trying to use the wired tutorial

Cool - just making sure. If you had the GameOS set to wireless, and were trying to use Wired in Linux, that doesn't work. They have to match.

Is the ADSL connection same as protocol because when I type in the router address it shows PPPoA VC-Mux as a protocol (and PPPoE as another option)??

Yeah - that's it. Usually your upstream provider determines how that connection is made. That's good news it's set to PPPoA - that should work.

At this point, you might try starting the Wireless connection via this script:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... nfig.shtml

and then switching to Wired:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... ired.shtml

Unfortunately, that's about all the help I can give you. I use Wireless exclusively for my PS3 - I tested Wired briefly by following those instructions I posted and I had no issues.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in here with some help for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 31 Oct 2008, 08:12

That wireless thing is heaps confusing haha

I tried it again and after the last step, there's a failed and it says no such device for device 0. Am I suppose to name device to what my router is called or something? Am I suppose to add a hardware? when I type device/bootproto and all that in the nano am I suppose to add the type aswell, which is obviously ethernet???
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 31 Oct 2008, 10:55

vesh wrote:That wireless thing is heaps confusing haha

I tried it again and after the last step, there's a failed and it says no such device for device 0.

You're typing something wrong. At no time should it say Device 0. It should say eth0, if anything at all.

Am I suppose to name device to what my router is called or something?

NO

Am I suppose to add a hardware?

NO

when I type device/bootproto and all that in the nano am I suppose to add the type aswell, which is obviously ethernet???

NO. Just type EXACTLY what's in the instuctions. Seriously - that's all.

You are typing EXACTLY what's in the instructions, right? Linux is case sensitive - so if something is listed in upper case, you have to type it in upper case.

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

must be entered exactly as shown. Using device=eth0 probably won't work.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 01 Nov 2008, 02:12

so instead of 0 the divice now has changed to eth0?? I've tried both no luck

ok, I've re installed it.... again. In the net work configuration, for hardware it says playstation 3 gigabit Ethernet. Type is wireless, device eth0, status ok so in the devices it says eth0, nickname eth0, type Wireless and status is active, profile box ticked.
Does this mean that it's already got wireless set up and I can try switching from wireless to wired now or should I try that wireless tutorial first?
Sometimes after I do the rm bit I hit enter and it says I think remove etc/sysconfig and all that with a "?" at the end. Do I just press enter if that comes up? There's no "y" or "n" option
Also when I gor for this last try, when I get to the nano bit, do I do the nano without the "w-" or with it?
This looks like it could be the very last throw of the dice haha!
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby WestAussieUbu » 01 Nov 2008, 04:50

vesh wrote:so instead of 0 the divice now has changed to eth0?? I've tried both no luck

ok, I've re installed it.... again. In the net work configuration, for hardware it says playstation 3 gigabit Ethernet. Type is wireless, device eth0, status ok so in the devices it says eth0, nickname eth0, type Wireless and status is active, profile box ticked.
Does this mean that it's already got wireless set up and I can try switching from wireless to wired now or should I try that wireless tutorial first?
Sometimes after I do the rm bit I hit enter and it says I think remove etc/sysconfig and all that with a "?" at the end. Do I just press enter if that comes up? There's no "y" or "n" option
Also when I gor for this last try, when I get to the nano bit, do I do the nano without the "w-" or with it?
This looks like it could be the very last throw of the dice haha!

You do realise that eth0 IS ETHERNET. *sigh*

It seems you must learn a little bit about linux before you do something as drastic as attempting an install on your ps3.
WestAussieUbu
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner