Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

Postby vesh » 24 Oct 2008, 08:11

oh I pressed enter on install_ppc64_text and that seems to be working but on the 32 if I pressed enter it would shut down my system
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 24 Oct 2008, 08:21

vesh wrote:oh I pressed enter on install_ppc64_text and that seems to be working but on the 32 if I pressed enter it would shut down my system

Unless you're using an Apple Macintosh, you only want the install_ps3_etc options. Otherwise, I'm not sure what will happen.

And - I just checked with my copy of YDL 6.0 installer - it doesn't seem like there's a PAL option. I'll search around and see what other PAL owners have done.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 24 Oct 2008, 08:36

ppietro wrote:
vesh wrote:oh I pressed enter on install_ppc64_text and that seems to be working but on the 32 if I pressed enter it would shut down my system

Unless you're using an Apple Macintosh, you only want the install_ps3_etc options. Otherwise, I'm not sure what will happen.

Okay - it looks like you use the install_ppc64_text option for PAL on a PS3.

I'm not 100% sure since all the pages that mention this are in French or German - neither of which I speak. (Luckily, Google now includes a translator!)

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 24 Oct 2008, 13:07

The installation completed. I didn't switch to graphic mode though I switched hard drives coz got a new one today but wanted to test how to install on the current one first and ahh now the ps3 asking me for the latest system update. I downloaded it onto a disk exactly as the ps site says right folders right names and the ps3 isn't detecting it damn it haha
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 26 Oct 2008, 07:52

Yay it's installed and switched from text to graphic mode and I'm getting a new tv on Thursday so will make things even better :D

One problem I have right now, I can't seem to get the net working :(
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 27 Oct 2008, 04:10

vesh wrote:Yay it's installed and switched from text to graphic mode and I'm getting a new tv on Thursday so will make things even better :D

One problem I have right now, I can't seem to get the net working :(

If you're trying to use WiFi - start here:
viewtopic.php?t=3399

If you're trying to use Wired - start here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... ired.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 27 Oct 2008, 13:03

I'm using wired and that didn't work at all. After I put in say rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and press enter it says no such file directory
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 27 Oct 2008, 23:00

vesh wrote:I'm using wired and that didn't work at all. After I put in say rm /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and press enter it says no such file directory

rm is remove file. You should just keep going with the procedure at that point.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 28 Oct 2008, 10:41

I followed it all a few times and nothing :( after the killall client, it says no process to kill. After the rebuild bit where you type nanoe etc whatever it says, the editing stuff doesn't come up

I remember when installing it in text mode got to a part where I had to enter gateway and ip address I think I just did my routers ip address and that's it maybe I gotta do something here aswell? Is there a command that can get me to change those settings? Also in devices in the networking is there a way to add my router?

Oh yeah sorry about all these questions haha was originally ment to be 2 :oops: hopefully if the net gets working that should be all I need to know :)
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 28 Oct 2008, 16:46

vesh wrote:After the rebuild bit where you type nanoe etc whatever it says, the editing stuff doesn't come up

Elaborate further on this step please. You can't get nano to start? I'm not quite sure what you mean here. You are logged on as root user for this step, by typing "su -" right?

If you can't create the ifcfg-eth0 file, then you won't get networking to start - simple as that.

If you don't have nano on your system, you might have to use vi. It's scarier, but we can step you through it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 29 Oct 2008, 01:55

There's a bit have to type nano /etc.sysconfig and so on to get into an editing section but after I type that it doesn't go into any editing.
I logged in as the root user. lol root is a funny word here in Australia.........

What's this new thing you talking about now hehe?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 29 Oct 2008, 02:56

vesh wrote:There's a bit have to type nano /etc.sysconfig and so on to get into an editing section but after I type that it doesn't go into any editing.
I logged in as the root user. lol root is a funny word here in Australia.........

What's this new thing you talking about now hehe?

Sounds like you don't have nano installed then.

Okay - you're gonna have to use vi to edit the file. Bwa ha ha!!! Another vi convert!!! <rubs hands together in glee> :lol:

Here's a guide to vi that billb came up with and I've edited slightly:

Mini vi tutorial:

Start with: vi /path/to/your/file
for example: vi /etc/yaboot.conf

Use the arrow keys to move around

Use the x key to delete text at the current position

-------------
Press the i key for Insert mode

Type your changes

Press the Esc key to exit Insert mode
------------

Press :wq to save your changes and exit

or

Type :q! to exit without saving changes

---- end of tutorial ----

Good luck!

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. billb - we may want to make that guide more permanent somewhere. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 29 Oct 2008, 11:13

So confused haha, sorry about all this :oops:

I opened a terminal and typed all that and well nothing lol. Am I suppose to type in that example as the path thing or suppose to be something else? What text am I suppose to delete?

Oh yeah with the hostname, I just named it the model of my router, is that right? Does that even matter? Someone wanna hack into my linux and do it all for me :lol: :roll:
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 29 Oct 2008, 11:28

ppietro wrote:P.S. billb - we may want to make that guide more permanent somewhere. :D

Done. :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 29 Oct 2008, 11:42

On the terminal I typed "adsl-setup" well I think it was that and it had a warning and said that the driver number thing is 22 but the something or rather can only handle up to 20. WHatever that ment, could it help maybe?
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner