Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Newbie, got PS3, 2 questions

Postby ppietro » 01 Nov 2008, 05:13

vesh wrote:so instead of 0 the divice now has changed to eth0?? I've tried both no luck

The device has never been zero - it's always been eth0. The procedure here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... ired.shtml
has never changed.

ok, I've re installed it.... again. In the net work configuration, for hardware it says playstation 3 gigabit Ethernet. Type is wireless, device eth0, status ok so in the devices it says eth0, nickname eth0, type Wireless and status is active, profile box ticked.
Does this mean that it's already got wireless set up and I can try switching from wireless to wired now or should I try that wireless tutorial first?

Yes - switch from wireless to wired now. Be sure to follow ALL of the procedure - you have to delete the wireless hardware.

Then, once you've followed the procedure - DON'T ENTER THE NETWORKING PANEL TO EDIT ANYTHING. It will undo all you've done. Just use the network - it should be running after the last step.

Sometimes after I do the rm bit I hit enter and it says I think remove etc/sysconfig and all that with a "?" at the end. Do I just press enter if that comes up? There's no "y" or "n" option

It won't prompt you. Type a "y".

Also when I gor for this last try, when I get to the nano bit, do I do the nano without the "w-" or with it?
This looks like it could be the very last throw of the dice haha!

Heh - it's -w, not w-. I have no idea what w- would do.

Second - you probably don't need it. The -w keeps long lines from wrapping. Since you're only entering 3 short lines - it doesn't matter.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 01 Nov 2008, 05:16

hehe yeah I do need to learn alot about linux but I had a bit of an idea that eth0 means ethernet lol
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 01 Nov 2008, 06:24

Oh just saw that post above then. That page has always said device=0 untill today :? I swear it did haha but I've tried both anyway.
Ok, here we go, last try!
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 01 Nov 2008, 06:38

And another unsuccessful attempt :( I had a look at the network configuration after I tried the net, it shows the new device but the type says wireless and same with the hardware
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 01 Nov 2008, 12:00

vesh wrote:And another unsuccessful attempt :( I had a look at the network configuration after I tried the net, it shows the new device but the type says wireless and same with the hardware

Yeah - that's why I told you not to go back to that control panel after you set it manually. It can revert the connection back to Wireless if you're not careful.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 02 Nov 2008, 04:31

But I went to check firefox once I closed the terminal and nothing so then after I checked firefox was when I checked the network configuration again.

I really think I should film this I surely must be doing something wrong somewhere I can't believe this and 4 pages in this thread haha so sorry guys but thank you so much for trying to help out I must be pissing you off by now haha
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 02 Nov 2008, 10:07

vesh wrote:But I went to check firefox once I closed the terminal and nothing so then after I checked firefox was when I checked the network configuration again.

I really think I should film this I surely must be doing something wrong somewhere I can't believe this and 4 pages in this thread haha so sorry guys but thank you so much for trying to help out I must be pissing you off by now haha

It might be something about your router. Can you try this at a friend's house?

(This doesn't mean your router is bad, per se - it may be a bug in Linux versus your router.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vesh » 03 Nov 2008, 08:10

I don't think there's anywhere else I could try it to see if it's maybe to do with Linux with my router.

Ah well, I'll leave you guys alone now haha thanks so much for the help! So sorry for all the questions I wanted to make sure I was doing absolutely everything right.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out....alot :oops: especially Paul!
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby vesh » 04 Nov 2008, 12:13

GAAAH I WISHED THIS WORKED! WHY OH WHY AFTER I'VE DONE THE TUTORIAL IT DOESN'T WORK AND THE NETWORKING STILL SHOWES WIRELESS GAAAAAAAAH

Just had to elt out some rage, feel much better now :)
vesh
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 08 Jan 2009, 08:12

vesh wrote:GAAAH I WISHED THIS WORKED! WHY OH WHY AFTER I'VE DONE THE TUTORIAL IT DOESN'T WORK AND THE NETWORKING STILL SHOWES WIRELESS GAAAAAAAAH

Just had to elt out some rage, feel much better now :)

You know - I just realized something. You installed YDL via the install_ppc64 option, didn't you? That's Mac specific, I think. It probably never put the PS3 drivers in place. Bummer.

It looks like SD PAL owners might just be out of luck with YDL's installer.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginner