Having issues, requiring assistance

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Having issues, requiring assistance

Postby Pawn535 » 14 Dec 2008, 05:03

I realize that there are tons of these here but I've tried a bunch of different ways and either I get confused or they dont work.

I'm trying to get YDL 6.0 into fullscreen, I have these black bars around the edge and its really annoying and it makes everything really small. can someone help me make it fullscreen? and I have overscan issues.

I've tried doing stuff with the ps3-video-mode thing and it didn't work out to well for me. my TV is running linux at 1080i I believe. I'm not very experienced with linux so... please don't use complicated advanced linux terms that I probably wont understand.

Thanks!
Pawn535
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Having issues, requiring assistance

Postby ppietro » 14 Dec 2008, 06:09

Pawn535 wrote:I realize that there are tons of these here but I've tried a bunch of different ways and either I get confused or they dont work.

I'm trying to get YDL 6.0 into fullscreen, I have these black bars around the edge and its really annoying and it makes everything really small. can someone help me make it fullscreen? and I have overscan issues.

I've tried doing stuff with the ps3-video-mode thing and it didn't work out to well for me. my TV is running linux at 1080i I believe. I'm not very experienced with linux so... please don't use complicated advanced linux terms that I probably wont understand.

Thanks!

Basically - from what you've described - I don't think we can help you. :(

Your state that your set has overscan, so a fullscreen mode would display off the edges of your screen. However - you've indicated that the normal mode with black borders is unacceptable. Unfortunately, those are your two main options.

There is a way to create custom resolutions - but you've indicated that you're not very comfortable with advanced Linux techniques, and these resolutions are not trivial to implement.

And the small size? Since your TV only runs 1080i, you probably can't use 720p which would solve the size issue you're describing.

I hate to say it - believe me I'm not trying to be negative here - but I think you just might be out of luck until you get a better monitor.

For what it's worth, the official guide is here:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... test.shtml
and
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml

An unofficial guide that you might find more useful is here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

Good luck.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pawn535 » 14 Dec 2008, 14:32

Well, I should of mentioned that I have it installed on my PS3, would changing my TV to 720p fix the resolution issues? I'll go try that.

Well, once again I tried a various number of resolutions with the ps3-video-mode thing in the terminal. I tried 720p fullscreen (-v 131) and that shoved everything way off to the side, I tried 1080i fullscreen (-v 132) and that buggered everything up completely. and what are these custom resolution modes you are talking about cause I'd give it a try. I tend to catch onto things fast.
Pawn535
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 14 Dec 2008, 16:19

Pawn535 wrote:Well, I should of mentioned that I have it installed on my PS3, would changing my TV to 720p fix the resolution issues? I'll go try that.

Well, once again I tried a various number of resolutions with the ps3-video-mode thing in the terminal. I tried 720p fullscreen (-v 131) and that shoved everything way off to the side, I tried 1080i fullscreen (-v 132) and that buggered everything up completely. and what are these custom resolution modes you are talking about cause I'd give it a try. I tend to catch onto things fast.

As long as you're not getting a blank screen when testing a video mode with the ps3-video-mode command, it should display properly when you set it in /etc/yaboot.conf and reboot (aside from overscan issues). It sounds like you're just looking at the result from testing in the console and not actually setting the mode in /etc/yaboot.conf and rebooting.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pawn535 » 14 Dec 2008, 23:28

Thanks for the help, I managed to get it fullscreen is there any way to make desktop icons smaller cause they are huge, and for some reason my active windows don't appear in the task bar area anymore, I'm using Gnome.
Pawn535
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner