Media Player on YDL 6.0

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Media Player on YDL 6.0

Postby RuthyWelch » 18 Dec 2008, 23:42

Hey all,

I'm still pretty new to linux. Adding it to my PS3 is my first experience with it. It's pretty cool. I'm glad it's approved as a legit OS for PS3 too! I'm hoping to perfect my PS3 as my home entertainment unit with linux. Anyway, I'm going to be putting 6.0 on my PS3 soon and was wondering about linux's media players. I have a lot of videos and tunes that I used to run on my iTunes. They are non-DRM so that is not my issue, but they all have artwork, will I need to pull up that artwork again? Or if I import those songs into ryhmbox will they still have the artwork? Also, I like the video players the come with YDL but are there any linux video players that follow a media library style like iTunes? I'd really like video player that compiles all my videos with artwork and I can make playlists etc. Can VLC do that? Is VLC supported on YDL? That's something else I'm curious about, I see a lot of neat linux programs that are available for specific linusOS's none of them offer YDL that I can see. Does YDL follow compatibility with fedora since 6.0 is based on that? How do I know what programs I can run on YDL? Trail and error?

Soory for throwing out all these questions, I'm just having a hard time tracking them down and I'm hesitant to do trail and error in risk or corrupting something. Please only answer the questions you feel like answering, I don't want to annoy anyone here.
RuthyWelch
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Media Player on YDL 6.0

Postby billb » 19 Dec 2008, 08:29

RuthyWelch wrote:They are non-DRM so that is not my issue, but they all have artwork, will I need to pull up that artwork again? Or if I import those songs into ryhmbox will they still have the artwork?

Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with artwork associated with song files... you might want to check the Rythmbox wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythmbox

Or perhaps someone else more familiar with it will chime in.

Also, I like the video players the come with YDL but are there any linux video players that follow a media library style like iTunes? I'd really like video player that compiles all my videos with artwork and I can make playlists etc. Can VLC do that? Is VLC supported on YDL?

VLC is not included / officially supported, but easy to install (see the "How to Install Software" guide in the PS3 subforum). Not sure if it will do what you want, and also, PS3 Linux in general will have trouble playing any video above 720x480 or so due to the lack of 2D / 3D acceleration. This is something we may see in the future through use of the Cell's SPEs.

That's something else I'm curious about, I see a lot of neat linux programs that are available for specific linusOS's none of them offer YDL that I can see. Does YDL follow compatibility with fedora since 6.0 is based on that? How do I know what programs I can run on YDL? Trail and error?

6.0 is based on RHEL / Centos 5, not Fedora. In looking for software that will run on YDL 6 / PS3, keep in mind that:

1) We don't have accelerated video, so nothing that requires OpenGL will work at an acceptable speed.

2) We are generally only using the two-way multithreaded PowerPC core of the PS3's Cell B.E. on most Linux applications. So there's a great deal of power yet to be used, but developing applications to take advantage of it will take time.

Since we're using PowerPC instead of x86 architecture, there are certain applications not available because the developers have not ported to PowerPC Linux -- such as Adobe's Flash player. Many sites will offer a Linux application for download and not even bother to mention if it's for x86 or PPC, and in that case you can assume it's for x86. If it's closed source and there's no PPC version available, you may be out of luck (such is the case with Adobe Flash player).

Another example of something we can't use due to the CPU architecture is WINE -- that requires x86. Emulation of Windows is still possible using QEMU, but since we have to emulate the CPU applications won't run anywhere near close to native speed.

Anyway, look for things that claim to work well on Centos 5 / RHEL, Fedora 6 AND for PPC, not just x86. Or just ask about it here ... :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner