Where does yum extract the files/programs to???

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Where does yum extract the files/programs to???

Postby flip » 26 Dec 2008, 22:56

I just downloaded unrar and 7zip but i can not use them for the life of me was i suppose i had to create a path so it could be downloaded for easier access? should i uninstall them and try again? i know by going to my computer right clicking and clicking browse folder /file system / usr / bin i can locate them but how do i run them
I tried searching this question believe me the search button won't even look it up because of common words so please anyone out there willing to share a little knowledge with this noob i'll appreciate it. :mrgreen:

edit i did find one post but no one helped him out

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4012&p=18789&hilit=unrar+zip#p18789
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Where does yum extract the files/programs to???

Postby NineToez » 27 Dec 2008, 08:19

Eh, I admit, I need a little help with this too. I just downloaded and installed lame, mame, rtorrent, and one other however none of these appear under 'Applications' in my GNOME desktop. If I look them up in 'Add/Remove Software', it shows them installed however I have no clue as to how to run them. The only other 2 repos I've added are PS3Bodega and fedora-extras in addition to the default 3 YDL repos.
80GB PS3 | FW 2.53 | 320GB HDD WD Scorpio Blue | YDL 6.1 GNOME
NineToez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby NineToez » 27 Dec 2008, 09:58

flip, and anyone else that didn't know, billb already made mention of this in this post when he writes:

billb wrote:If the application has a graphical user interface it should now show up in your menu in an appropriate location (Games, Internet, etc).

If you installed a terminal based application with no graphical user interface (GUI), there won't be a new menu option for it. You may not even know what terminal command is used to start it. It is usually the same as the name of the package, and installed in the folder: /usr/bin Documentation is typically installed in the folder /usr/share/doc/[application-version] folder.

Makes sense, so I'll accept this as the answer to our question. Since I'm very new to Linux, I guess I have a lot more to learn in choosing programs that have a GUI that can be used simply vs. relying on terminal input each time!
80GB PS3 | FW 2.53 | 320GB HDD WD Scorpio Blue | YDL 6.1 GNOME
NineToez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby flip » 27 Dec 2008, 18:41

I have found out how to run the programs by terminal also and thanks for your reply

say if you downloaded unrar or 7zip THREW TERMINAL if your logged in as root or if your logged in a guest su (password) root you can type in unrar or 7zip and you would get a list of functions and how to call the program to do the neat things you need it to do ok another thing is if anyone is having problems on how to unrar or unzip stuff threw terminal i can give you the key strokes on what to input threw terminal.

7zip to extract files you would open terminal and type in, 7za x yourfile.7z ( hence the your file would be the file your trying to open)

unrar using unrar command lines, unrar e [PSP]IronMan[EUR][MULTi3]].rar

ok i hope you get the picture it took me all night googling and searching to get these answers and if anything is wrong with my post be patient with me i am a newbie to linux if you would like to add any comments to my post for corrections please do so no hard feelings taking.
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Beginner