Uninstalled Gstreamer, uninstalled other things...

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Uninstalled Gstreamer, uninstalled other things...

Postby awa004 » 20 Jan 2009, 08:26

I was in the add and remove programs... I was simply going to uninstall gstreamer and reinstall it... (trying to get youtube to work) i thought since i added it would not be a big deal if i uninstalled it... but it also uninstalled gnome, open office, and rhythmbox... why did it do that? i am just reinstalling those programs including gstreamer but i don't know if i jacked it up that i need a reinstall... is that a big problem or just don't do that again?
awa004
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Uninstalled Gstreamer, uninstalled other things...

Postby ppietro » 20 Jan 2009, 10:28

awa004 wrote:I was in the add and remove programs... I was simply going to uninstall gstreamer and reinstall it... (trying to get youtube to work) i thought since i added it would not be a big deal if i uninstalled it... but it also uninstalled gnome, open office, and rhythmbox... why did it do that? i am just reinstalling those programs including gstreamer but i don't know if i jacked it up that i need a reinstall... is that a big problem or just don't do that again?

Just don't do that again. :)

It's the dependencies. YUM - the underlying tech behind add/remove - watches them very carefully. Since these other programs listed gstreamer as a dependency, removing it removed all the other programs as well.

Luckily YUM restores these things very well. :D

For future reference, I think the way to do it would be to work at the package level - not the program level. So - instead of using YUM, you'd use the rpm --erase --nodeps rpmname command. Then, I think you could use add/remove programs to put it back in place. Or - just download gstreamer directly from the repo mirrors and use rpm -ivh --nodeps rpmname to put it back.

You can get a list of the RPMs installed on your system by using rpm -qa | grep query

As an example, type rpm -qa | grep gstreamer

That will print all the gstreamer RPMs that Add/Remove programs installed. Basically - in a RedHat based Linux like YDL - all programs are installed via RPM. However - RPMs can be dependent on each other. So YUM - or the graphical version pirut (aka Add/Remove Software) - resolves dependencies, automatically downloads needed files, then installs the RPMs.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner