Swap file

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Swap file

Postby zygo » 20 Jan 2009, 10:28

Hi all, I want to say first that this site has been very helpfull in getting my ps3 up and running ydl 6.1. And would like to give a big WOOT and thankyou. :D

O.K. I'm having an issue though. I would like to add a swap file to an external drive; say to a usb thumb drive . But I can not find anywhere on how to do this. I did find a Howto but it was for 5.0. I'm a noob when it comes to terminal commands, so any help would be appreciated.
zygo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Swap file

Postby ppietro » 20 Jan 2009, 10:42

zygo wrote:Hi all, I want to say first that this site has been very helpfull in getting my ps3 up and running ydl 6.1. And would like to give a big WOOT and thankyou. :D

O.K. I'm having an issue though. I would like to add a swap file to an external drive; say to a usb thumb drive . But I can not find anywhere on how to do this. I did find a Howto but it was for 5.0. I'm a noob when it comes to terminal commands, so any help would be appreciated.

Since you're using 6.1, I'd use the new ps3vram feature for swap instead of a USB thumb drive. It's much faster - and you can leave your hard disc swap partition active at the same time. The fast ps3vram swap will get used first, since it has a higher priority.

There's good instructions on how to set it up here:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... swap.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby icebreakingfool » 28 May 2009, 01:02

I've been trying to enable the ps3vram as swap. As I understand this will utilize the 256mb of ram associated with the graphics card and allow YDL to use it as a very fast swap space, effectively increasing my ram to 512mb. However I run into problems following the instructions on fixstars site. Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently running YDL 6.1.

Code: Select all
[root@localhost ~]# cd /etc/init.d
[root@localhost init.d]# wget http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3-vram-swap
--16:56:03--  http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3-vram-swap
Resolving us.fixstars.com... 66.7.161.3
Connecting to us.fixstars.com|66.7.161.3|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 781 [text/plain]
Saving to: `ps3-vram-swap.1'

100%[=======================================>] 781         --.-K/s   in 0s     

16:56:03 (22.6 MB/s) - `ps3-vram-swap.1' saved [781/781]

[root@localhost init.d]# chmod 755 ps3-vram-swap
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig --add ps3-vram-swap
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig ps3-vram-swap on
[root@localhost init.d]# service ps3-vram-swap start
/dev/mtdblock0: No such file or directory
swapon: cannot stat /dev/mtdblock0: No such file or directory
[root@localhost init.d]# swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/ps3da3                             partition       522104  163664  -1

whats going on here?
icebreakingfool
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 May 2009, 01:17

icebreakingfool wrote:I've been trying to enable the ps3vram as swap. As I understand this will utilize the 256mb of ram associated with the graphics card and allow YDL to use it as a very fast swap space, effectively increasing my ram to 512mb. However I run into problems following the instructions on fixstars site. Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently running YDL 6.1.

Code: Select all
[root@localhost ~]# cd /etc/init.d
[root@localhost init.d]# wget http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3-vram-swap
--16:56:03--  http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3-vram-swap
Resolving us.fixstars.com... 66.7.161.3
Connecting to us.fixstars.com|66.7.161.3|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 781 [text/plain]
Saving to: `ps3-vram-swap.1'

100%[=======================================>] 781         --.-K/s   in 0s     

16:56:03 (22.6 MB/s) - `ps3-vram-swap.1' saved [781/781]

[root@localhost init.d]# chmod 755 ps3-vram-swap
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig --add ps3-vram-swap
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig ps3-vram-swap on
[root@localhost init.d]# service ps3-vram-swap start
/dev/mtdblock0: No such file or directory
swapon: cannot stat /dev/mtdblock0: No such file or directory
[root@localhost init.d]# swapon -s
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/ps3da3                             partition       522104  163664  -1

whats going on here?

Which ISO did you install? If you used yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3.iso, ps3vram is unavailable. This ISO was created without ps3vram support for a few PS3 models that wouldn't start if it were enabled.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby icebreakingfool » 28 May 2009, 01:27

I see...I did install the NEWPS3 version. Is it worth installing the other version for the swap access? Also under gameOS it lists the device name as PS3-553 (I think) is this one of the affected models? Is there a next best option to the vram? I read somewhere that a dedicated flash USB drive is faster than a USB hard drive. Is this correct?

Thanks a bunch. You guys have really helped me get my PS3 up and running, not to mention you've taught me some linux which I've been meaning to learn for awhile now....
icebreakingfool
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 May 2009, 01:59

icebreakingfool wrote:I see...I did install the NEWPS3 version. Is it worth installing the other version for the swap access?

It depends how much you have installed. If this is a fairly fresh install, then - yes - it's worth installing the other version for the swap access.

The note from Fixstars about this is here:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... rnel.shtml

However - Fixstars uses PS3 shipping box model numbers. According to some of our forum members:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4580&p=23788#p23788

This would correspond to CECHL01 for the US.

I discuss the versions a little here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5237&p=29386#p29386

So - if you do have one of these models - the CECHLxx - you would normally have to use the non-ps3vram YDL installation. However - recently - on the Fixstars advisory page - they've edited the advisory to read:

Boot Issue with the 80GB and 160GB PS3 Running YDL 6.1 - ISSUE FIXED

There is some debate as to what this means. It could mean that if you use the non-ps3vram ISO, the issue is fixed. However - they've only added the ISSUE FIXED text recently - after the latest PS3 GameOS firmware updates came out. So - it could also mean that the PS3 Firmware has fixed this issue and you don't need to do this anymore. (i.e. you could use the older ISO with ps3vram support)

Frankly - I'm not sure exactly which is true. If I had one of these affected models, I'd try it to see what happens. Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter - but I can't say for sure.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby icebreakingfool » 28 May 2009, 02:27

Thanks for the post. Sorry I can't help you out though, I don't have one of the affected models. I think I will go ahead with the reinstallation once I download this bohemoth file again.
icebreakingfool
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 May 2009, 00:05

As a follow-up - we did get clarification about the "ISSUE FIXED" message.

What this means is that the issue has been fixed in the next release of YDL. However - for the time being - it's still there. So - if you have one of the affected models, you have to use the ps3vram-disabled "NEW" ISO.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner