Installing Blender

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Installing Blender

Postby FrostEternal » 24 Jan 2009, 02:57

Okay, so I just downloaded the open-source, 3d graphics program Blender (blender.org).. and it's on my desktop any everything.. I unzipped it and put the folder there.

When I double click the executable (as instructed at blender.org as how to start Blender on Linux), nothing happens. If I right click it and select "Open," nothing happens... What the heck?

Here is the website where I downloaded it:
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

I downloaded the first one. If anyone could instruct me on where I screwed up, that'd be most appreciated.

[EDIT: Changed the subject to something more appropriate :wink: billb]
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6 won't open executables

Postby billb » 24 Jan 2009, 03:04

The pre-compiled versions they offer on their site are for x86-based Linux, and YDL is PowerPC (PPC) based. So that's why it won't run ... you'd need to download the source and compile it on YDL. With a few exceptions, this is the case with most pre-compiled software like this -- they generally offer downloads for Linux running on x86 CPUs but not PPC. At least with Blender they actually specify that it's for x86-32 or x86-64 bit ... often a website will just offer a Linux version download and not even specify the system architecture. In that case you can assume it's for x86.

I haven't attempted compiling that particular application ... you may run into more problems due to architecture differences for PowerPC vs x86 unless they've done some testing on PowerPC to make sure it compiles OK.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrostEternal » 24 Jan 2009, 03:07

Do you know of any websites providing instruction on how to do this ?
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 24 Jan 2009, 09:20

FrostEternal wrote:Do you know of any websites providing instruction on how to do this ?

Yes -- the blender.org site -- http://www.blender.org/development/building-blender/

Also, blender 2.44 is included in fedora-extras, so if you've followed this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

You could install it with Add/Remove Software using the GUI, or yum install blender from the command line. However, I've never tried it and minimum system requirements indicate it wants OpenGL. We don't have hardware accelerated OpenGL on PS3 Linux, but we do have software OpenGL through Mesa OpenGL. This usually means S L O W ... but again I've never tried the application so I don't know how well it would work.

Also there may be some work going on with porting it to use the PS3's Cell B.E. CPU, but I wouldn't expect the regular version to make use of the Cell's SPEs at all even if you downloaded the source and compiled it on the PS3.

And one more thing -- I'm guessing it's probably an application hungry for memory, too. This might be a case where using ps3vram as swap would help out ...

Give it a try and let us know. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrostEternal » 24 Jan 2009, 10:15

Okay, so I was messing around a bit while I waiting for responses, and I learned a bit more about Yellow Dog Linux and whatnot.. so basically I found Blender in the Add-Remove Installer dealy and installed it there...

Problem arises: When I go to open the program, I get this :

Blender stopped unexpectedly
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

I'll get that message in Enlighten/whatever it's called.. If I try to open Blender in Gnome, nothing even happens.
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Jan 2009, 10:49

FrostEternal wrote:Problem arises: When I go to open the program, I get this :

Blender stopped unexpectedly
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"..

Remember that missing OpenGL problem billb was talking about? That's it.

So - quick X Windows detour here.

X Windows is a very unique piece of software. One of the weirdest things about X is that it dynamically configures itself. When you start X, it looks at your video hardware, compares it to built-in libraries and additional libraries it knows about, and generates a list of features called extensions.

You can see the current extensions by typing xdpyinfo in a terminal window.

X Windows advertises these extensions to applications. This is why remote X Windows works so well - your remote X tells applications what it supports via its extensions and properly written X applications adjust accordingly.

So - back to the matter at hand. When the X consortium decided to add OpenGL support to X Windows, they decided to make it an extension to allow hardware abstraction and remote capabilities. This extension is called GLX, and is basically an X "wrapper" for the OpenGL code. Technically a program sends GLX protocol to the X Server, which, in turn, passes it on to the OpenGL library and renders it from there.

So - when a program complains that it's missing a GLX extension, it most likely means that OpenGL support is not present in the hardware/version of X you're running.

A word about advertised extensions. Sometimes programs are badly coded and are expecting a fixed list of extensions - even if they never use them. I notice that our PS3's advertise GLX and XVideo, but, to the best of my knowledge, they're not actually present. This may be due to the way Mesa emulates OpenGL & GLX. From the Mesa docs: "Mesa does not implement the full OpenGL specification.....The GLX interface is only an emulation; it does not generate GLX protocol. "

There's a blog post that runs thru some of this stuff:
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/article- ... ll-relate/

Okay - the cough syrup is numbing my brain. I'm done. Goodnight. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 24 Jan 2009, 11:09

ppietro wrote:Okay - the cough syrup is numbing my brain. I'm done. Goodnight. :D

Okay - I'm not quite done.

One of the weird, weird things about X is its remote capabilities. This probably isn't worth your while...

BUT

if you run a remote X windows program, some of them support hardware accelerated OpenGL. They will advertise it, and theoretically, you could use GLX to run OpenGL across your network.

It won't be as fast as running on the hardware directly - but it's better than nothing.

If you are interested in trying this, it looks like the free version of Xming will do the trick. You'll want to download this on your PC: http://sourceforge.net/project/download ... -setup.exe

You'll probably need some fonts too: http://sourceforge.net/project/download ... -setup.exe

I describe how to use programs like this here:
viewtopic.php?t=3101

It's not a direct HOW-TO - but it sort of shows an outline of how you use them.

Okay - now I'm really done. Goodnight! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 24 Jan 2009, 15:30

I've managed to get Quake III "running" before on YDL / PS3 using Mesa OpenGL -- actually it was more like crawling (unplayable). Will see if I can find the old post about it ... yes!

viewtopic.php?p=7719#p7719

So basically I had to install a few things and make a small modification to /etc/X11/xorg.conf to deal with the "Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0" error, then it would work. This was back on YDL 6.0, I think, but the same method may apply here.

When I say "confirm the following are installed" I mean use "rpm -q packagename" to confirm if a package is installed or not. Or just try (as root):

Code: Select all
yum install mesa-libGL mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU glx-utils

Then make the xorg.conf modification as noted and reboot, and try running blender again after that.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 26 Jan 2009, 19:18

I just tried installing Blender (yum install blender) and it started up OK with no modifications to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I have the following installed, also:

[bill@localhost ~]$ rpm -q mesa-libGL mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU glx-utils
mesa-libGL-7.1-0.29
mesa-libGL-devel-7.1-0.29
mesa-libGLU-7.1-0.29
glx-utils-7.1-0.29

I opened a sample .blender file I downloaded and that was OK, too. I have absolutely no idea how to use Blender, though ... just wanted to see if it would work.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 27 Jan 2009, 03:30

billb wrote:I just tried installing Blender (yum install blender) and it started up OK with no modifications to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I have the following installed, also:

[bill@localhost ~]$ rpm -q mesa-libGL mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU glx-utils
mesa-libGL-7.1-0.29
mesa-libGL-devel-7.1-0.29
mesa-libGLU-7.1-0.29
glx-utils-7.1-0.29

I can confirm the same.

I have absolutely no idea how to use Blender, though ... just wanted to see if it would work.

Ditto, though I have heard that Blender's interface has driven people to Cthulhu style madness: Ia Ia Blender ftagn. I did create and render a cylinder, and I bet I could use it to make Second Life sculpt meshes by following the various tutorials.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to Beginner