New User Account

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

New User Account

Postby Brabus » 25 Jan 2009, 20:28

Hello,
So I've read you should never login as a root. I did that few times and i saw why. But now my system in stable and everything works again so I have a very basic question. How the hell can I create new user? I have no idea where is GNOME... I have somehow created a user by the terminal but I dont know password for it. Thanks for help:)
Brabus
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: New User Account

Postby ppietro » 26 Jan 2009, 00:20

Brabus wrote:Hello,
So I've read you should never login as a root. I did that few times and i saw why. But now my system in stable and everything works again so I have a very basic question. How the hell can I create new user? I have no idea where is GNOME... I have somehow created a user by the terminal but I dont know password for it. Thanks for help:)

If you're using the default YDL environment - what we call E17 or Enlightenment - the new user tool is in (YDL ICON) --> Applications --> System Tools --> Users and Groups.

Quite a few YDL users do not like the default environment. Another environment - called GNOME - is installed by default. To try is, from the login screen, click Sessions, and pick Gnome, then login normally. It will then ask you if you want to make the change permanent or not.

If you create a user via the terminal, you need to assign it a password with the passwd command. You would use it as passwd newusername Don't just issue passwd by itself, or you'll change the root password. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brabus » 26 Jan 2009, 15:28

dude really thanks for help... but if i use the passwrd command will be the password of the root same as on my new account?
Brabus
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Brabus » 26 Jan 2009, 16:59

Oh! I got it I finally discovered what how to change the password. Thanks for help:)
Brabus
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner