update wicd

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

update wicd

Postby leemckelvey » 31 Jan 2009, 05:31

I have ydl6.1 installed and my wicd version is 1.5.3, i have tried to get it to connect over and over and i just keep failing ><.

what i would like to know is how do i update it to the newer version in the hope that it may work for me, i have tried the advice on other threads such as the wnettools trick and nothing seems to work i always hang at getting ip address.

now i know i can download the latest wicd version but how do i install it? is there a way to update via yum because when i try to update it tells me i dont have any repositories? im so confused at the moment and would really love wifi enabled.

any help would be much appreciated.

Lee
leemckelvey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: update wicd

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 06:09

leemckelvey wrote:I have ydl6.1 installed and my wicd version is 1.5.3, i have tried to get it to connect over and over and i just keep failing ><.

Rather than update it - I hear the update is just as broken - try my Wireless tips instead. Look at Scenario 3 - at the end of the scenario are two fixes for issues with Wicd:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby leemckelvey » 31 Jan 2009, 07:32

tried again and still doesnt work :(

is it worthwhile reinstalling and trying to configure the wireless then?
leemckelvey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 09:23

leemckelvey wrote:tried again and still doesnt work :(

is it worthwhile reinstalling and trying to configure the wireless then?

It might just be easier for me to help you. :D

When you looked at my tips and tricks post, did you follow this step?

NOTE: This did not work for me at first. I would get stuck on an "Obtaining IP Address" step. However - since I have a stock YDL 6.1 installation, I applied the v1.5.3 patch from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4416
and wicd seems to be working.

BTW - we don't use the wnettools trick anymore if you're using wicd. Can you try uninstalling that, and restoring the normal wnettools? That might be preventing wicd from working properly.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby leemckelvey » 31 Jan 2009, 14:30

i reinstalled, i have yet to try again. I will make sure i follow steps from the stock installation and hope that it works :)

will let you know how i get on

Lee
leemckelvey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 21:45

leemckelvey wrote:i reinstalled, i have yet to try again. I will make sure i follow steps from the stock installation and hope that it works :)

will let you know how i get on

Lee

I posted some detailed steps for the patch here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby leemckelvey » 05 Feb 2009, 07:51

:(

so i did a fresh install of the system, got myself ready from scratch, firstly i set up the drivers by following a guide for the airport extreme but using b43-fwcutter-011 on broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0 and got the firmware into /lib/firmware/b43/ successfully, i think.

Next i created a wireless device in network manager and called it airport wireless, installed wicd.

rebooted and then tried, it failed at ip address as per usual, so i install wnettools.py 1.5.3, reboot and wicd doesnt start, so i edit the config to get wicd working and it still fails at ip address :(

am i doing something wrong?, i also changed the eth1 to wlan0, should i leave it as eth1?

if i cant get it to work i may go back to fedora >< but ydl is so much nicer.

any ideas

Lee
leemckelvey
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 Feb 2009, 09:45

leemckelvey wrote:so i did a fresh install of the system, got myself ready from scratch, firstly i set up the drivers by following a guide for the airport extreme but using b43-fwcutter-011 on broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0 and got the firmware into /lib/firmware/b43/ successfully, i think.

You have some sort of Mac, don't you?

I'm sorry - I thought you were using a PS3. Most folks that have had issues with wicd have been PS3 users. I just assumed it worked fine on Macs.

I guess that's not the case. Unfortunately - you're way out of my league on this one. I don't have any other suggestions for you.

Again - mea culpa.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner