Wicd Introspect error

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Wicd Introspect error

Postby mkdosh » 12 Feb 2009, 15:03

I've recently installed YDL 6.1 on my PS3. For the first few days I was able to connect to the router on my PC gateway via Wicd. In subsequent efforts to set up access to my home wireless network for printer service (using Senario 3 of the posted network set up notes) I get an error as Wicd starts up.

"Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files"

Is this repairable? How?

Merv
mkdosh
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Wicd Introspect error

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 10:05

mkdosh wrote:I've recently installed YDL 6.1 on my PS3. For the first few days I was able to connect to the router on my PC gateway via Wicd. In subsequent efforts to set up access to my home wireless network for printer service (using Senario 3 of the posted network set up notes) I get an error as Wicd starts up.

"Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files"

Is this repairable? How?

Merv

Did you try this from the Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1 post? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p23390

Also - I did run into the "Can't start wicd manager" issue. It was resolved by following the steps in this post
http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml
with the exception of sudo. sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su - for that step.

Just checking the obvious before we start digging deeper. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkdosh » 16 Feb 2009, 04:00

I've had no success with this procedure. I launched the terminal and typeed "sudo bash". I got the prompt for my password but my keystrokes did not register. But I entered my passward, anyway. I got an error message saying that my user id was not in the "sudoers file".
mkdosh
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Feb 2009, 08:06

mkdosh wrote:I've had no success with this procedure. I launched the terminal and typeed "sudo bash". I got the prompt for my password but my keystrokes did not register. But I entered my passward, anyway. I got an error message saying that my user id was not in the "sudoers file".

Re-read my quote carefully. I'll boldface the key part of that quote:

Also - I did run into the "Can't start wicd manager" issue. It was resolved by following the steps in this post
http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml
with the exception of sudo. sudo is not set up on YDL systems by default. Instead, use su - for that step.

You'll need to use su - instead of sudo. That's su followed by a space and a dash. So instead of
sudo bash - [ENTER]

you would just use
su - [ENTER]

Also - your password is never echoed back when you type it. That's a security feature so others can't see your password.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkdosh » 16 Feb 2009, 23:51

Oops! I did miss that. The procedure did reconnet me to the Internet. Thanks for your help and pactience.

Merv
mkdosh
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner