HOWTO: Compiling, step by step.

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: HOWTO: Compiling, step by step.

Postby Silgrin4D » 09 Apr 2010, 10:08

ppietro wrote:Did you expand the package first?

YES :twisted:

ppietro wrote:If you did, did you cd into the resultant directory?

YES :lol:

ppietro wrote:When in doubt, always check to see if there's any documentation included

No, there is none. Will try googling, or sth - or naybe yo will think sth out...

Thx.
Silgrin4D
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 10:33

Silgrin4D wrote:
ppietro wrote:Did you expand the package first?

YES :twisted:

ppietro wrote:If you did, did you cd into the resultant directory?

YES :lol:

ppietro wrote:When in doubt, always check to see if there's any documentation included

No, there is none. Will try googling, or sth - or naybe yo will think sth out...

Thx.

Like I said - it depends on the source. Source code for some unix systems may not use autoconf. If they don't use autoconf, they won't have the configure file.

What's a program you're trying to compile? I can take a look at the source if you like.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Sorry - what's "sth"? Not trying to be insulting - but I have no idea what that means.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 13 Apr 2010, 08:07

ok so what do i do if i come acroos a tarball with no configure or make files... specifically the latest version of frostwire???
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 13 Apr 2010, 08:54

otakusupreme wrote:ok so what do i do if i come acroos a tarball with no configure or make files... specifically the latest version of frostwire???

Isn't Frostwire in Java? You don't compile that, IIRC. I mean - you do - but you have to use a Java compiler and not autoconf/configure/gcc.

Instead of compiling, you should just run the RPM. See here for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3091&start=30#p12117

Skip past the first part of that post - I do detail how to load & configure Frostwire in there.

BTW - newer versions of Frostwire don't always work with YDL. You might start with the RPM I mentioned, get it working, and try newer ones from there.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Beginner