Installing QEmu

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Installing QEmu

Postby labbz » 08 Mar 2009, 18:28

Hi all :)

I'm having a few problems with installing the qemu emulator on YDL 5.0.

I'm following an installation guide (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-linux ... 74712.html), but it doesn't give a clear example on how you actually install QEmu.
I'm intending on install Windows 95 using this program, since XP isn't really all that pratical.

Is there anybody on here which can give me a nice walkthrough on how to install QEmu step by step? (Including need-to-download files, etc)?
Any help with this matter would be highly appreciated!

Additional Information:
I've tried downloading and installing QEmu with a qemu-0.8.2-22.ppc.rpm which was located on the following website http://download.opensuse.org/distributi ... /suse/ppc/ . It sucessfully installed, however nothing has come to effect.

Thank you for viewing this message - hoping to hear a reply soon :D

P.S - Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area..
labbz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing QEmu

Postby ppietro » 08 Mar 2009, 20:00

labbz wrote:Hi all :)

I'm having a few problems with installing the qemu emulator on YDL 5.0.

I'm following an installation guide (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-linux ... 74712.html), but it doesn't give a clear example on how you actually install QEmu.
I'm intending on install Windows 95 using this program, since XP isn't really all that pratical.

Oh god - billb - it's therepos.zip again!!!!! Man - I wish these guys wouldn't post this stuff.

labbz - using this ZIP will probably damage your YDL 5.0 installation.

If you followed our guide here:
viewtopic.php?t=2316

You would just use Add/Remove Software to install QEMU.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby labbz » 08 Mar 2009, 22:20

Hi again - Thanks for the reply Paul :D

I have another question - i've installed Qemu using the instructions which you passed on to me, however i'm facing yet another problem :?
I'm currently following the install Windows 98 tutorial located on this site. It allows me (I think..) to create a disk image for the OS to install onto, however when I type in 'qemu -cdrom /dev/scd0 -boot d win95.img', it comes up with the following..

"Could not configure '/dev/rtc/' to have 1024Hz timer. This is not a fault error, but for better emulation accuracy either use a 2.6 host Linux kernel or qemu: could not open hard disk image win95.img"

I don't know if it could just be the fact that either it doesn't wish to run on my version of YDL or it's the fact that I can't improvise and make a win95.img using the tutorial's method.

All replies are very much appreciated :)
labbz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 09 Mar 2009, 00:15

labbz wrote:"Could not configure '/dev/rtc/' to have 1024Hz timer. This is not a fault error, but for better emulation accuracy either use a 2.6 host Linux kernel

Don't worry about that -- it's not a problem.

or qemu: could not open hard disk image win95.img"

If you're not specifying the full path to your win95.img you need to make sure it's in your current working directory. Either cd to the directory where it's located or specify the path to it. Either that or you simply haven't created the win95.img file yet using the qemu-img command?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 09 Mar 2009, 00:22

ppietro wrote:Oh god - billb - it's therepos.zip again!!!!! Man - I wish these guys wouldn't post this stuff.

:lol: Yes ... and do they have enough advertisements on that site, I wonder? Oddly enough, when I went to the site to see what the guide said, a giant ad came up saying today's sponsor was: "Deminology" :P
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby redfox45 » 18 Apr 2009, 16:59

Can sombody show me where to get qemu? that link is dead and I have no idea where to get it.
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Apr 2009, 17:43

redfox45 wrote:Can sombody show me where to get qemu? that link is dead and I have no idea where to get it.

There's a very good version of QEMU in our default repos if you set them up according to this:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

You should just use Add/Remove Software to install it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner