screen adjustment

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

screen adjustment

Postby TJLYD » 10 Mar 2009, 19:45

how do i adjust the screen so it displays in fullscreen. that black box around the screen is annoying me?
TJLYD
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: screen adjustment

Postby ppietro » 10 Mar 2009, 20:52

TJLYD wrote:how do i adjust the screen so it displays in fullscreen. that black box around the screen is annoying me?

See here:

viewtopic.php?t=3524

and here:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml

You can get full screen mode by adding 128 to your current mode. So - if you were running mode 3 (720p), you'd want 3+128 = 131 for fullscreen 720p.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby seanthediceman » 06 May 2009, 04:30

what do i do if I am running 480i is the adjustment different. Yes i am a noob.how exactly do ypu go about doing this.
append="video=ps3fb:mode:1 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"
do you enter it into the terminal?
& what is editing a line in /etc/yaboot.conf
Iv already screwed up ydl twice by entering a whole bunch of yum commands and really it just screwed me up even more so i just reinstalled ydl 6.1 altogether. I don't wanna touch the add/remove option. im not sure exactly how to go about installing packages anyway. If there is a forum that will answer this question i would love to see it please. I also want the mplayer and vic plugins later on. other than than that i have no idea how to use ydl properly.
seanthediceman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 May 2009, 06:06

seanthediceman wrote:what do i do if I am running 480i is the adjustment different.

No - and yes. Let me explain.

The adjustment is the same. However - most 480i sets cannot take Fullscreen mode. This is due to a feature called overscan. Most 480i - or Standard Definition (SD) - sets cannot display all of the picture. They lose about 20% of the edges to the plastic casing of the screen. The normal 480i mode of YDL compensates for this.

So - yes - you might be seeing a black border now, but if you switch to fullscreen mode - the edges of the screen will probably go beyond the edges of your monitor - which is more annoying.

seanthediceman wrote:Yes i am a noob.how exactly do ypu go about doing this.
append="video=ps3fb:mode:1 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"
do you enter it into the terminal?
& what is editing a line in /etc/yaboot.conf

seanthediceman wrote:Iv already screwed up ydl twice by entering a whole bunch of yum commands and really it just screwed me up even more so i just reinstalled ydl 6.1 altogether. I don't wanna touch the add/remove option. im not sure exactly how to go about installing packages anyway. If there is a forum that will answer this question i would love to see it please. I also want the mplayer and vic plugins later on. other than than that i have no idea how to use ydl properly.

The main guide we have for adding extra repositories so that you can add VLC, etc. is here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

As for using YDL properly, any Red Hat beginners guide to Linux should help you.

There are 4 major distributions of Linux - RedHat, Debian, Slackware & Gentoo. Although they're all Linux, they are slightly different. Most Linuxes are based on one of these 4 distributions.

YDL is based on RedHat. Ubuntu guides won't help you as much - Ubuntu is Debian based.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. A good guide to help with your questions is here:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 06 May 2009, 07:10

ppietro wrote: This is due to a feature called overscan. Most 480i - or Standard Definition (SD) - sets cannot display all of the picture. They lose about 20% of the edges to the plastic casing of the screen. The normal 480i mode of YDL compensates for this.

So - yes - you might be seeing a black border now, but if you switch to fullscreen mode - the edges of the screen will probably go beyond the edges of your monitor - which is more annoying.

And sets tend to vary on how much overscan they have, some have a lot (which is probably the reason the PS2 Linux kit's default NTSC mode was 610x404), and some have a little. For example the 640x448 I used on my PS2 LInux kit was a little too much on the living room TV by maybe 4 pixels or so (I also lost a tiny bit of games on it), but it was just fine on the TV I normally used it on. Personally, I'd try fullscreen and see what happens, some more modern sets can handle it.

As for using YDL properly, any Red Hat beginners guide to Linux should help you.

Yep. I still need to get one of those big expensive Red Hat books.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to Beginner