NOOB QUESTION ALEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

NOOB QUESTION ALEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mojomaster » 22 Mar 2009, 22:14

Hello all

Firstly I would like to thank you Paul ! For your time and quick response on my last topic, CHEERS !!!!!

I finally got it working this morning, burnt a new disc with the image burning software you recommended ! But strangely it read as corrupt when I asked it to verify after burning. But it worked straight away......go figure !

I just have some really basic questions.............

1st. Is it true that I have only 10gb for ydl, for everything including films, music, programs and so on....? unless I choose to format the HD and allocate 10GB to just game_os.

2nd. And if this is the case. And I want to allocate 10Gb for game_os and use the rest for my linux. Would I have to reinstall linux or can i just change it in the ps3 menu....???????

Also maybe not a completely linux related question, But does anyone know what the biggest hard drive one can get for the ps3, I saw one in the shop the other day 500GB sata1, butwould this fit, and whats the best way to tell.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys and gurls...................................cheers
mojomaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: NOOB QUESTION ALEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2009, 04:49

mojomaster wrote:Firstly I would like to thank you Paul ! For your time and quick response on my last topic, CHEERS !!!!!

You're welcome. *blush*

I finally got it working this morning, burnt a new disc with the image burning software you recommended ! But strangely it read as corrupt when I asked it to verify after burning. But it worked straight away......go figure !

Hmmm - that's vaguely scary... anywhoo.

I just have some really basic questions.............

1st. Is it true that I have only 10gb for ydl, for everything including films, music, programs and so on....? unless I choose to format the HD and allocate 10GB to just game_os.

Yup - that's true. Weird, huh?

2nd. And if this is the case. And I want to allocate 10Gb for game_os and use the rest for my linux. Would I have to reinstall linux or can i just change it in the ps3 menu....???????

You would have to re-install Linux, I'm afraid. You don't have to do the Install Other OS step - the firmware will still remain loaded. But - changing that partition allocation would wipe the hard drive, and you'd have to re-install the rest of it.

Also maybe not a completely linux related question, But does anyone know what the biggest hard drive one can get for the ps3, I saw one in the shop the other day 500GB sata1, but would this fit, and whats the best way to tell.

The only restriction that I know of is drive speed. 5200 RPM is recommended due to heat and power supply issues. Other than that - I'm not sure what the limit is. I have a 250 gig SATA in my 60 gig PS3 right now. Anyone else got an idea on this one?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 23 Mar 2009, 12:48

ppietro wrote:The only restriction that I know of is drive speed. 5200 RPM is recommended due to heat and power supply issues. Other than that - I'm not sure what the limit is. I have a 250 gig SATA in my 60 gig PS3 right now. Anyone else got an idea on this one?

Hitachi has a 1 TB 2.5" SATA drive (it's 7200 RPM though). I don't know of an exact limit on the size. As Paul mentioned, 5200 RPM would be the safer route, though I use a 7200 RPM drive in one PS3 with no problems.

It would be a good idea to be prepared to back up whatever you have on a regular basis ... so if you were to upgrade to a 500 GB internal drive and use 490 GB for the Game OS, you'd want at least a 500 GB external drive for backups (assuming you actually used all that 490 GB of space).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mojomaster » 31 Mar 2009, 16:26

Thanks a lot for that people...........................................!!!!!!!!!!
mojomaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Jun 2009, 06:57

billb wrote:
ppietro wrote:The only restriction that I know of is drive speed. 5200 RPM is recommended due to heat and power supply issues. Other than that - I'm not sure what the limit is. I have a 250 gig SATA in my 60 gig PS3 right now. Anyone else got an idea on this one?

Hitachi has a 1 TB 2.5" SATA drive (it's 7200 RPM though). I don't know of an exact limit on the size. As Paul mentioned, 5200 RPM would be the safer route, though I use a 7200 RPM drive in one PS3 with no problems.

It would be a good idea to be prepared to back up whatever you have on a regular basis ... so if you were to upgrade to a 500 GB internal drive and use 490 GB for the Game OS, you'd want at least a 500 GB external drive for backups (assuming you actually used all that 490 GB of space).

Remember that you need to format the partition into ext3! This is usually handled automatically by Anaconda (the installer), but as we are speaking of installing different drives for use by YDLm building the drives with the right file system becomes necessary.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 05 Jun 2009, 18:56

aguilarojo wrote:
billb wrote:

Remember that you need to format the partition into ext3! This is usually handled automatically by Anaconda (the installer), but as we are speaking of installing different drives for use by YDLm building the drives with the right file system becomes necessary.

Wrong kind of backup. We're talking about backups of the PS3 GameOS - it has its own backup & restore utility. The PS3's GameOS requires that external drives be formatted FAT32. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Jun 2009, 00:22

ppietro wrote:
...Wrong kind of backup. We're talking about backups of the PS3 GameOS - it has its own backup & restore utility. The PS3's GameOS requires that external drives be formatted FAT32. :D

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul for the clarification. I find that really odd as FAT32 was used by Apple back when it used System 8 about early 90's? When I've the time, I'd like to explore the details of why Sony believes that format is efficient especially as the Cell is quite capable of processing much more than 32 bits.

Derick

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 06 Jun 2009, 00:38

aguilarojo wrote:
ppietro wrote:
...Wrong kind of backup. We're talking about backups of the PS3 GameOS - it has its own backup & restore utility. The PS3's GameOS requires that external drives be formatted FAT32. :D

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul for the clarification. I find that really odd as FAT32 was used by Apple back when it used System 8 about early 90's? When I've the time, I'd like to explore the details of why Sony believes that format is efficient especially as the Cell is quite capable of processing much more than 32 bits.

Derick

Oh - it's mostly licensing, I'd imagine. FAT is pretty much open source at this point - even if it isn't really. FAT 32 is used on most Windows thumb drives, etc. Sony probably didn't want to create their own disc format again, after the PS2 debacle, nor did they want to license NTFS or HPFS from Microsoft or Apple.

Of course, one might wonder why they didn't use ext2/ext3 or any of the other popular open source Linux variants, considering Windows can't format FAT32 partitions greater than 32 Gigs, and you have to use Linux to create them anyway. :D

BTW - Apple didn't use FAT 32 in System 8 - I would imagine that it was using either HPFS or HPFS Plus. FAT 32 came in with Win 95 OSR 2. Mac OS 8 did include the ability to correctly parse Windows FAT 32 discs, though, through PC Exchange.

(references here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_8 and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_32#FAT32 )

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Jun 2009, 03:36

ppietro wrote:
... I find that really odd as FAT32 was used by Apple back when it used System 8 about early 90's?

Of course, one might wonder why they didn't use ext2/ext3 or any of the other popular open source Linux variants, considering Windows can't format FAT32 partitions greater than 32 Gigs, and you have to use Linux to create them anyway. :D

Very nice point!

ppietro wrote:BTW - Apple didn't use FAT 32 in System 8 - I would imagine that it was using either HPFS or HPFS Plus. FAT 32 came in with Win 95 OSR 2. Mac OS 8 did include the ability to correctly parse Windows FAT 32 discs, though, through PC Exchange.

(references here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_8 and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_32#FAT32 )

Cheers,
Paul

PC Exchange was a tool I recall actually using. Besides the commentary here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Exchange

mentions that PC Exchange existed from System 7 forward, and by System 8 it was embedded into the Finder. The Wiki reference is incomplete on the topic of PC Exchange. Apple itself was using in those days HFS for formatting it's own drives; it would move onto HFS+ eventually -- however Apple did indeed use FAT32 as a means of allowing such disks using that formatting system to be mounted onto the Finder via PC Exchange.

I should have clarified that Apple was not using FAT32 as it's native file format structure. I was referring to Apple allowing FAT32 to be mounted within the Finder. Also if one used specialized third-party partitioning software one could also create FAT32 partitions as well in those days.

I see, Paul, that I'm going to have to watch my p's and q's with you around. That's ok by me. :wink:

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner