dmrc File Error Message During Boot

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

dmrc File Error Message During Boot

Postby Taellik » 24 Mar 2009, 11:36

I get the following error message box when booting YDL :

Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.

My only options are an OK button. I click OK and then the messaage box closes and the boot process continues without interruption.

Anyone encounter this before ?

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Re: dmrc File Error Message During Boot

Postby Taellik » 23 Apr 2009, 12:26

Well, I discovered the reason and solution for this problem. Somehow / someway one or more file permissions got changed in my /home directory.

Thanks to Linux Format Magazine, issue 117 / April 2009 they published the follow to correct the problem someone else had written in about fixing.

Run su command to get root access
1) Type chown -R Dave:~Dave
2) Type chmod -R u+rw,go-w ~Dave

The first command recursive (-R) changes the ownership of all files in your home directory (~Dave) to Dave. The trailing colon after the username means that the group ownership of each file is also changed to the user's default group.

The second command recursively changes the permissions on all files and directories in your home directory by setting read and write permissions for the user (u+rw) and unsetting write permission for the group and others (go-w).

I used these steps and my boot up error message was gone !

Thanks to Linux Format Magazine, a Linux newb's best magazine for learning about Linux and loaded with info & help.

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Return to Beginner