Fixing Screen Resolution

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Re: Fixing Screen Resolution

Postby MasamuneSoul » 25 Apr 2009, 15:39

I have no idea what that is in USD. And yes I DO mean a bit pricey. 60 dollars for cables is a bit much. I'd rather buy a new PS3 game.

(Let me remind you that some people think HDMI is not worth it or find it hardly any better than component.)
MasamuneSoul
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Apr 2009, 06:18

MasamuneSoul wrote:Ok, so I'm back into the YDL scene. I just purchased this TV at my local Wal-Mart store:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10929988

A good deal if I say so my self for a name brand. Now just gonna purchase a set of component cables which are $20-$25 dollars which is good, in my opinion.

I'd get HDMI cables but they are a bit pricey. Will get them later on down the road, sometime.

It's funny you should mention buying a new set. I just bought a new 21.5" widescreen display by Acer for my PS3. It's a computer monitor, but it's a true 1920x1080p 16:9 - most widescreen computer monitors are actually 16:10. It has HDMI/HDCP and everything - in addition to the usual DVI-D and VGA inputs. It even has a pair of speakers in it and it supports sound over HDMI.

The cost? $179.99 US.

Got it at Fry's Electronics in Renton, WA. Don't know how long this deal will last - but I highly recommend it. This won't work as a Digital TV per se - you'd need an external tuner. But - since it has HDMI/HDCP, this shouldn't be a real issue - especially if you're using Cable with an external digital box already.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. BTW - Fry's is also selling a 10' HDMI cable for $3.97 US. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 26 Apr 2009, 06:33

MasamuneSoul wrote:(Let me remind you that some people think HDMI is not worth it or find it hardly any better than component.)

Those people are wrong. Go HDMI - seriously.

Like I said - Fry's is selling the cables for $3.97. Here's their on-line ad:
http://local.ads.nwsource.com/ads/sites/frys_ad/

I can't find a similar deal on their website:
http://www.frys.com
but they are selling the monitor I bought for $189. They're also selling a 23" acer for the same price - I think that's an on-line only deal. I didn't see that monitor in the store.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 27 Apr 2009, 07:06

ppietro wrote:It's funny you should mention buying a new set. I just bought a new 21.5" widescreen display by Acer for my PS3. It's a computer monitor, but it's a true 1920x1080p 16:9 - most widescreen computer monitors are actually 16:10. It has HDMI/HDCP and everything - in addition to the usual DVI-D and VGA inputs. It even has a pair of speakers in it and it supports sound over HDMI.

The cost? $179.99 US.

Niiiiice. I'd have got something like that, but I needed component for my PS2, and s-video for my SNES. So that meant I needed an HDTV and not a monitor and meant I paid more and only got 720p/1080i and it's 16:10 and not true 16:9 (I bought my TV before I got my PS3.) But I can hook everything from the Colecovision sitting in the garage (lost my 2600 in the flood of 2008) on up to it.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby CronoCloud » 27 Apr 2009, 08:13

ppietro wrote:
Those people are wrong. Go HDMI - seriously.

HDMI is the best thing to happen to TV connections in years. One cable for video and audio. The clarity is better than Component and it does that 2-way communicating thing with the TV to set the best picture size for what I'm doing. Better color and whites too, thanks to "Full White" and "Full Range"

Like I said - Fry's is selling the cables for $3.97.

Paid $27 for mine last year at wal-mart, bought it with my PS3, they're cheaper now.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Previous

Return to Beginner