Wireless Connection on PS3 - HELP

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Wireless Connection on PS3 - HELP

Postby staro » 21 Apr 2009, 18:03

hi
after few day for searching on this web prob that i have i decided to open a new topic
lets go...
i have PS3 40GB with YLD 6.1
i manage to set the Wicd but something is wrong
i see in the bottom "connect" but its on 0%
and if take a look on the router reception its 85%
what was wrong???
plz HELP
staro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Wireless Connection on PS3 - HELP

Postby ppietro » 21 Apr 2009, 18:58

staro wrote:hi
after few day for searching on this web prob that i have i decided to open a new topic
lets go...
i have PS3 40GB with YLD 6.1
i manage to set the Wicd but something is wrong
i see in the bottom "connect" but its on 0%
and if take a look on the router reception its 85%
what was wrong???
plz HELP

If you actually connect, but it reads 0%, that's a known issue. Have you tried accessing the internet? Does Firefox work? If it does work, but it reads 0% - you're done. Unless it really bothers you, I'd wait for the next YDL wicd update from Fixstars/Terrasoft.

Otherwise, if you're not connecting, start here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p23390

Most folks need to patch wicd to get it work on the PS3. Two posts down from the above, I explain how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

A side benefit of this user supplied patch is that it fixes the 0% bug. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Newguyhere » 21 Apr 2009, 20:28

Hey Im a complete beginner to this LINUX program and im trying to set up everything step by step on my ps3 i have 6.1 and im currently trying to install the patch for WCID but I cant seem to figure out how to access "permission"? to do it? It says I dont have permission when i try to overwrite the old file.

I've seen people say "go to terminal and su yourself" or "log in as root" but i have no idea how to do any of that.

If at all possible with a person familiar with solutions to most of these LINUX issues can we chat through IM?
Newguyhere
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Apr 2009, 22:07

Newguyhere wrote:Hey Im a complete beginner to this LINUX program and im trying to set up everything step by step on my ps3 i have 6.1 and im currently trying to install the patch for WCID but I cant seem to figure out how to access "permission"? to do it? It says I dont have permission when i try to overwrite the old file.

I've seen people say "go to terminal and su yourself" or "log in as root" but i have no idea how to do any of that.

If at all possible with a person familiar with solutions to most of these LINUX issues can we chat through IM?

So - when you installed YDL, you were prompted for a master password. We call this the root password. This isn't the same as the username and password you were asked to provide in the second part of the install, after the reboot.

To log in as root, use a username of root and a password of that first password you provided.

Same thing with su. If you open up a terminal window - you can search through the menus to find the terminal application - and type su, and hit the Enter key, it will ask for a password. The password it's looking for is the root password - the first one you entered. Type in that password and hit Enter. Now - your terminal has root permissions on the box, while the rest of your login is still a normal account.

I go through the patch procedure pretty darn step by step here. I tried to make sure that everything you need to type is in boldface:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby staro » 22 Apr 2009, 14:09

Paul the all almighty :)
millions of 10x's
this post is on my PS3 :)
now can you tell me pls (after i installed the hebrew support of course) how to change my keyboard to write hebrew
once again 10x
staro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 22 Apr 2009, 20:37

staro wrote:Paul the all almighty :)
millions of 10x's
now can you tell me pls (after i installed the hebrew support of course) how to change my keyboard to write hebrew
once again 10x

Glad that worked for you!

As for your second question: A Hebrew keyboard in Linux? Sorry - I have no idea how to do that. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 22 Apr 2009, 22:39

staro wrote:Paul the all almighty :)
millions of 10x's
once again 10x

You should be able to use system-config-language and system-config-keyboard to set that up.

I just checked Gnome and you can set up hebrew input this way, which works. (just checked it out, I finally set up a test user)

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/HebrewInput

In e17 you will have to install a systray app, because e17 doesn't include one and usage of scim requires one:

(Thanks to user mihaiolimpiu in this post: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4164&p=20168#p20166

compile stalonetray from source

Create a .desktop file for stalonetray so that you can add it to start.

as root:

Code: Select all
gedit /usr/share/applications/stalonetray.desktop

and paste the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.6.2
Name=stalonetray
Type=Application
Comment=a stand-alone freedesktop.org and KDE system tray
Exec=stalonetray
Icon=
Categories=Applications;Tray;Startup
Term=

Edit~/.e/e/applications/startup/.order to contain the following

stalonetray.desktop

Restart e17, the systray appears at the bottom of the desktop not in the shelf.

Then "Start">Configuration>Configuration Panel>Languages>Input Method Settings

Select "Scim" and apply

But it you can't do it that way there's always another way, which let me do this in fluxbox

אנג

Scim. I didn't copy/paste the aleph, bet and gimel, I typed them, using t, b, d. And they were typed right to left.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2758

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ashley » 28 May 2009, 09:35

I had a problem with the wireless myself, wicd-client wasn't working so I just did this:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
login as root

#ifconfig wlan0 up
#echo `wpa_passphrase $YOUR_SSID $YOUR_PSK` > test.conf

I then edited test.conf because it echoed all on one line for some reason

then I did:

#wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c test.conf &
#dhclient wlan0

which worked

Obviously this isn't a good permanent solution but it will get you online and then you can find some other solution from the comfort of your ps3
ashley
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner