Ethernet card not found

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Ethernet card not found

Postby elektronikotine » 24 Apr 2009, 19:13

Hi to all!
I'm Gabriel and i'm a newbie in using linux yellow dog on my sony ps3. I've already installed the os successifully.
But i can't go on the web on wireless. I've noticed incorrect settings on the tab of the wireless network and i've followed this guide to set up correctly:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml

But at the point to choose the wireless adapter, for the new connection, i can't find the wireless adapter (Sony PS3 Ethernet Device (eth0))

What i must do???

Thank you for your time and sorry for my bad english!
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Ethernet card not found

Postby ppietro » 24 Apr 2009, 21:55

elektronikotine wrote:Hi to all!
I'm Gabriel and i'm a newbie in using linux yellow dog on my sony ps3. I've already installed the os successifully.
But i can't go on the web on wireless. I've noticed incorrect settings on the tab of the wireless network and i've followed this guide to set up correctly:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml

But at the point to choose the wireless adapter, for the new connection, i can't find the wireless adapter (Sony PS3 Ethernet Device (eth0))

What i must do???

Thank you for your time and sorry for my bad english!

If you're using YDL 6.1, start here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534

You'll probably need to use Scenario 2.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby elektronikotine » 25 Apr 2009, 14:40

Thank you ppietro!!!(ma sei italiano???)

With your link i've resolved the problem.

Now the connection works partially correct. I can open web pages likes google or this forum but it run at very low speed. Plus, for the most of the pages (includes google), it freezes at 70% of the loading, not showing correctly to me the pages. For example, the google main page, showes to me without the google image loaded fully. I've the same effect to the other pages... In some pages like forums, weren't shows with all the post of the page.
Obviously it won't be a problem if takes only the web navigation, but it taks also the packages and the updates downloads, plus the new application download.
The speed is too low and often the line crashes...
Help!!!!! PLz!!!!

Sorry for my bad english!!!

Bye!
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Apr 2009, 06:47

elektronikotine wrote:Thank you ppietro!!!(ma sei italiano???)

With your link i've resolved the problem.

Now the connection works partially correct. I can open web pages likes google or this forum but it run at very low speed. Plus, for the most of the pages (includes google), it freezes at 70% of the loading, not showing correctly to me the pages. For example, the google main page, showes to me without the google image loaded fully. I've the same effect to the other pages... In some pages like forums, weren't shows with all the post of the page.
Obviously it won't be a problem if takes only the web navigation, but it taks also the packages and the updates downloads, plus the new application download.
The speed is too low and often the line crashes...
Help!!!!! PLz!!!!

Sorry for my bad english!!!

Bye!

Sorry - even though I'm 1/2 Italian, I don't speak any. :(

So - it sounds like you might have interference on your Wireless channel.

Do you have any 2.4 GHz wireless phones? (Not cellular - regular). Run any microwave ovens? Baby room monitors? Neighbors with WiFI using the same channel? Use any 2.4 GHz wireless joysticks or gamepads - like by Logitech?

All of these can lead to the symptoms you're describing.

The first thing I'd do is switch your Wireless Channel to 1, 6, or 11 and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby elektronikotine » 26 Apr 2009, 12:36

ppietro wrote: Sorry - even though I'm 1/2 Italian, I don't speak any. :(

So - it sounds like you might have interference on your Wireless channel.

Do you have any 2.4 GHz wireless phones? (Not cellular - regular). Run any microwave ovens? Baby room monitors? Neighbors with WiFI using the same channel? Use any 2.4 GHz wireless joysticks or gamepads - like by Logitech?

All of these can lead to the symptoms you're describing.

The first thing I'd do is switch your Wireless Channel to 1, 6, or 11 and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Paul

No matter for your italian :). If you arent' scared of my english, we will continue to talk in this language.
So, i dont have wireless phones. I've a microwave oven but i used it a few times. PLus it never worked when i was testing the YDL connection. For the neighbors, i don't know. I Know that i've some protected wifi conneciton around me. Certainly they used the same modem router of me.
No baby monitors and wifi joystick except, obviously, for two dual shock 3 switched off (with my testes i used only mouse and keyboard).
Do you think that switching wireless channel can help me???

The router wireless channel is set (in default) to "auto". With this configuration it works fine with my notebook in the same room and works very very fine with the XMB wifi connection. For that i don't be able to understand why it doesn't works...

Thank you for your time and your replies!!!

Ciao Ciao

Gabriele
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby elektronikotine » 02 May 2009, 13:16

UP! Can anyone help me???
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby elektronikotine » 04 May 2009, 20:03

I've already tried to switch up the channels of wireless, but no way to resolve the problem!

YDL no full show the browser's pictures(some half showed, some full showed, some blocks the full download of site to the cache) and there's no way to download the upgrades... Please!!! Help!
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 May 2009, 00:56

elektronikotine wrote:I've already tried to switch up the channels of wireless, but no way to resolve the problem!

YDL no full show the browser's pictures(some half showed, some full showed, some blocks the full download of site to the cache) and there's no way to download the upgrades... Please!!! Help!

Sorry we can't be of more help on this. It still sounds like your PS3 has interference and/or a weak signal.

Where is the Wireless Access point in relation to the PS3? In the same room? Across the house?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby elektronikotine » 05 May 2009, 23:17

Hi, ppietro, thanks for your reply.

So, i don't have anything that interferences with my ps3. The router, that's work correctly under XMB mode and under windows on laptop, is in the near room.
there is only a wall separating the ps3 from the modem. the distance is minimal. The browser of the sony operating system does not give any problem. Among the other pages are loaded right while others only partially. There is no way to download programs or the OS upgrade
elektronikotine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 05 May 2009, 23:28

elektronikotine wrote:Hi, ppietro, thanks for your reply.

So, i don't have anything that interferences with my ps3. The router, that's work correctly under XMB mode and under windows on laptop, is in the near room.
there is only a wall separating the ps3 from the modem. the distance is minimal. The browser of the sony operating system does not give any problem. Among the other pages are loaded right while others only partially. There is no way to download programs or the OS upgrade

There's not much else to do, I'm afraid. :(

If you're using encryption on your wireless access point, and you have it set aggressively, you might try turning it down a notch and see if that helps. (i.e. if you're using 128 bit WEP, try 64 bit WEP).

Also - it might be a DNS issue - although this is rare. If your Wireless Access Point is set to act as a DNS server - or cache DNS information - you might try turning that off and either setting up DHCP on your Wireless Access Point to point at your upstream DNS servers, or manually add the DNS servers to your PS3 network configuration.

Finally - it just might be the brand of Wireless Access Point. There are a couple of brands of Wireless Access Point that do not have quality control procedures in place, and do not test against anything but Microsoft Windows. These access points do not work correctly with Linux. In America, that would be Wireless Access Points from ActionTec (normally provided by Qwest networks for DSL).

Unfortunately, it sounds like you'll probably have to use wired Ethernet for PS3 Linux. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner