I've Installed ydl 6.1 Succesfully on my ps3. but now what?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

I've Installed ydl 6.1 Succesfully on my ps3. but now what?

Postby toontizzle » 10 May 2009, 17:51

hi guys. ive been trying to get someone to just hook me up with the ydl set up forever, but it wasn't untill i sat down to do it my self that i finally got the right iso file and used the right adware to get it to successfully installed and running on my ps3. Now that i got it, i dont understand the first thing about computers and adding software and terminal commands, or most of the other stuff that theese forums talk about. I've searched every single board looking for some help but all this stuff is like spanish to me. I think it'll be great if someone could either show me or just post a whole walk through from a to z on how to get everything you need installed up and running from the moment you successfully install a working version of ydl6.1 onto your ps3. i cant watch videos, listen to music, i can get on the internet, but youtube or like sites dont seem to run well. anyway those are my issues can anyone help? if not at least point me in the right direction.
toontizzle
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: I've Installed ydl 6.1 Succesfully on my ps3. but now what?

Postby aguilarojo » 07 Jun 2009, 21:09

toontizzle wrote:hi guys. ive been trying to get someone to just hook me up with the ydl set up forever, but it wasn't untill i sat down to do it my self that i finally got the right iso file and used the right adware to get it to successfully installed and running on my ps3. Now that i got it, i dont understand the first thing about computers and adding software and terminal commands, or most of the other stuff that theese forums talk about. I've searched every single board looking for some help but all this stuff is like spanish to me. I think it'll be great if someone could either show me or just post a whole walk through from a to z on how to get everything you need installed up and running from the moment you successfully install a working version of ydl6.1 onto your ps3. i cant watch videos, listen to music, i can get on the internet, but youtube or like sites dont seem to run well. anyway those are my issues can anyone help? if not at least point me in the right direction.

Hi toontizzle:

Your questions are not simple to answer. YDL is one of a family of Linux distributions which allow you tools which some years ago were restricted to highly trained scientists and researchers in advanced fields of mathematics and engineering. You may not be interested in using these tools and programming languages and more - but they are there for your exploration. Likewise exploring the intricacies of the Cell which is the heart of the PS3, is available to you as well; essentially because of YDL and the Cell you've a computer system which you can utilize as your personal laboratory which would allow you to do research and work at the level of someone pursuing a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioengineering and more. If you wanted to explore the fundamentals of various programming languages, you can do that. If you wanted to design and implement your own wireless network with YDL, you can do that too.

What you can do is limited only by your willingness to explore and expand your skills or not.

There are many books on Linux System Administration, as there are books in programming computers in a variety of languages. You can explore the elements or advanced levels of Web design if you choose. If you find that the references or books available in various fields are rather limited you can check out Barnes & Nobles. Here's a link to a search I did there in Linux System Administration:

http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=linux+system+administration&box=linux%20system%20administration&pos=-1

Remember that you can also do similar searches at Amazon.com and elsewhere and discover better prices for books/texts which interest you.

How far you go remains your choice, as for YDL however the tools are there or can be installed, according to your need.

It is possible that what interests you is playing games and watching movies. From what I've read regarding the PS3, the GameOS should be able to do that.
I could be wrong, of course as I'm unfamiliar with the PS3.

I am very familiar however with Linux, Unix and YDL in particular.

As far as detailed guidance, I think that is why there are many websites available for beginning programming languages, and so on. You could take academic coursework and expand your background formally, but pursuing that path depends on the time available and the goals you have. As in most things in life, YDL will be better at some functions than others. What YDL can do for you is a function of the journey you are engaging upon.

YDL runs exclusively on PowerPC systems, of which the Cell (which is in the PS3) is a member of. Other Linux distributions run exclusively on x86 otherwise known as Intel and compatible computers. The reason I'm mentioning this fact is to help you understand why all the tools and facilities available to other Linux distributions, may not work or be available for YDL or any Linux supporting or running on a PowerPC family of computers. In comparison to x86 Linux systems those working within PowerPC or Cell systems have always been small.

What is entirely possible however, is that something which doesn't currently exist for the PowerPC or Cell based systems can exist tomorrow or shortly if you've the programming and other inter-related skills -- to build it yourself. I'm not suggesting that this is easy, but man what an attention getter on a resume to be able to demonstrate and prove that you designed something uniquely yours from the ground up which others find useful, intriguing and valuable to be developed further. Or maybe you improved someone's work, and have documented what you did and posted it to the original author/inventor and/or shared that work with a community such as this. The concept of YDL, and this community is very much what open source is all about as well.

So don't be afraid to "jump in" -- the water's fine. And better than that -- YDL is an infinitely expandable tool which you can employ to your advantage with your imagination and skill your only limitations.

By the way, I came across a great example of what addresses your question - "now what" - regarding what you can do with YDL running on a PS3. Check out this link here:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5139

All the best...
Last edited by aguilarojo on 08 Jun 2009, 13:23, edited 5 times in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: I've Installed ydl 6.1 Succesfully on my ps3. but now what?

Postby ppietro » 07 Jun 2009, 21:49

toontizzle wrote:hi guys. ive been trying to get someone to just hook me up with the ydl set up forever, but it wasn't untill i sat down to do it my self that i finally got the right iso file and used the right adware to get it to successfully installed and running on my ps3. Now that i got it, i dont understand the first thing about computers and adding software and terminal commands, or most of the other stuff that theese forums talk about. I've searched every single board looking for some help but all this stuff is like spanish to me. I think it'll be great if someone could either show me or just post a whole walk through from a to z on how to get everything you need installed up and running from the moment you successfully install a working version of ydl6.1 onto your ps3. i cant watch videos, listen to music, i can get on the internet, but youtube or like sites dont seem to run well. anyway those are my issues can anyone help? if not at least point me in the right direction.

Start here:

Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

and especially here:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

This second link will help you set up the extra software libraries you need to obtain the copyrighted libraries for media playback like MP3, MP4, etc.

After you set up your PS3 according to that link, you'll want to use Add/Remove Software to install gstreamer-plugins-bad & gstreamer-plugins-ugly. This will add the missing codecs you need for most types of media playback.

As for YouTube, that's more problematic. Most of those types of websites use something called Adobe Flash. Unfortunately, Adobe has not released a version of Flash for the PowerPC processor in your PS3. Since Flash is closed source software, there is no decent alternative available. Some folks are trying to reverse engineer Flash from its specificaions - gnash & swfdec are two of the best known projects - but the resultant code is bloated, buggy and slow.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner