Having some issues with Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc for ps

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Having some issues with Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc for ps

Postby wrathofgodjunkie » 16 May 2009, 09:33

Having some issues with Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc for ps3.
I recently just installed Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc on my PS3, and of course the first thing I tried was youtube. (Always a good first test for a new linux distro in my moderately newbie experience.) When it didn't work, I made the decision that I assume most was: run updates, then look for flash stuff in the repos. Welp, right when I tried to run the update manager I receieved an error that stated "The exec() call failed.". After this I tried a few other things such as package manager, users and groups and began to realize that anytime I tried to run any type of synaptic that I always receive this error. I've been trying to follow guides online, but none mention this error. You'll soon realize, because most people tend to hit google real quick to answer these posts, that typing that error message into google will only bring up one result having absolutely nothing to do with Yellow Dog. I'm sure if I could get to the root of this problem that I can figure out how to get the rest of the system to work. If its any consolation I am logged in as root. I'm not sure what other specs to list that I haven't already listed.

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it; as it would be frickin' sweet to have a working desktop environment on my playstation 3.
wrathofgodjunkie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Having some issues with Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc for ps

Postby billb » 16 May 2009, 12:57

wrathofgodjunkie wrote:Having some issues with Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc for ps3.
I recently just installed Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 powerpc on my PS3, and of course the first thing I tried was youtube. (Always a good first test for a new linux distro in my moderately newbie experience.)

Thanks to Adobe, there's no PowerPC Linux version of their Flash player. I suppose we are the 1% they are ruining web accessibility for ... ("Flash Player is a cross-platform browser plug-in that delivers breakthrough Web experiences to over 99% of Internet users." -- http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/). :evil: Though I'd guess that percentage is actually higher than 1%.

There are some alternatives, for youtube the best of which I consider to be jaybps3's posted method of using totem, vlc, or mplayer plugins to play the videos instead. See this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4439

Welp, right when I tried to run the update manager I receieved an error that stated "The exec() call failed.". After this I tried a few other things such as package manager, users and groups and began to realize that anytime I tried to run any type of synaptic that I always receive this error.

Please see this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4785

Note that we're having trouble with fedora-extras.repo in the last day or so ... you may need to use this setup instead:

viewtopic.php?p=29231#p29231
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wrathofgodjunkie » 16 May 2009, 18:07

Yeah, I'm not too worried about flash as I know plenty of work arounds, but thank you so much for sending me a link that might help my synaptic issue. Haven't read it yet, gotta run out the door, but once I do I'll post back here.
wrathofgodjunkie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 May 2009, 00:08

wrathofgodjunkie wrote:Yeah, I'm not too worried about flash as I know plenty of work arounds, but thank you so much for sending me a link that might help my synaptic issue. Haven't read it yet, gotta run out the door, but once I do I'll post back here.

Just to let you know - synaptic is generally a Debian (i.e. Ubuntu) term. YDL is a Fedora/Red Hat based Linux, and we generally don't use synaptic, nor apt-get. Instead of synaptic, we use a GUI tool called pirut (aka Add/Remove Software), and an update tool called pup. Behind the scenes, both of these use a apt-get equivalent called YUM, which installs packages from servers via .RPM files, instead of using .deb files. We call these servers "repositories" or "repos" for short.

So - we'd make statements like "I'm have some issues with my repos", instead of "I'm having synaptic issues"

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, mind you. Just letting you know that most folks around here aren't necessarily familiar with your terms. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner