Opening Installed Software

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Opening Installed Software

Postby AzimScot » 19 May 2009, 01:32

I have just installed software called vm player on yellow dog linux. I would like to know and be given step to step instructions on how to load/run/open installed software?

Is it from the terminal window?
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Opening Installed Software

Postby AzimScot » 19 May 2009, 21:59

come on someone must know.

I am sure there is a few commands you enter to open and installed software.
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby CronoCloud » 20 May 2009, 04:57

There are many ways to do so:

Via the terminal
Via a "Run dialog"
Via a menu entry in your window manager.

It all depends on how you want things done.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 20 May 2009, 07:42

AzimScot wrote:I have just installed software called vm player on yellow dog linux.

By the way - I just did a Google search on "vm player". I couldn't get a direct hit on that, but it did match "VMWare Player". Is this what you're trying to run?

If so, you're probably out of luck. From what I can see, VMWare Player is a virtualizer, not an emulator. What this means is it creates virtual computers inside your main computer - of the same processor type. Since this program expects x86 (or x86-64) processors, and YDL only runs on PowerPC (ppc) processors, this probably won't work.

I'm guessing you probably downloaded an x86 binary, and not a PowerPC specific binary. Where did you download this?

What you need, I think, is a program that emulates one processor family on another. We generally use a program QEMU for this. That's available if you add the fedora-extras repo per the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

What exactly are you trying to do here? We may have a better solution for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AzimScot » 20 May 2009, 19:28

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to put windows xp on a playstation 3. I understand people do this from videos on youtube etc by using vm ware player. I have installed the package but don't know the commands in the terminal window to open the installed file? I cannot find it in my application under internet or accessories?
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 20 May 2009, 21:08

AzimScot wrote:I am trying to put windows xp on a playstation 3. I understand people do this from videos on youtube etc by using vm ware player.

No - they don't use VMWare Player for this. Again - VMWare player is a virtualizer, not an emulator. You'd need an emulator to run WinXP (x86) on a PS3 (Cell w/PowerPC core).

Also - the VMWare Players that I've found are x86 binaries, which won't work on a PS3, which is PowerPC based. Where did you get the binary? What website, specifically? You should uninstall it, if possible. Did you install this as an RPM by any chance? If so, I can help with the uninstall.

The package you need is qemu - and be sure it's for PowerPC, not x86. Unfortunately, making a PowerPC processor emulate an x86 processor is pretty inefficient. Trying to run WinXP has proven... highly problematic. Normally, users can manage to run Win98 or Win2K.

What in WinXP are you trying to run? We may be able to provide a Linux alternative.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AzimScot » 21 May 2009, 18:45

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Yes I have installed it as a RPM package. Please give directions on how I would uninstall VM Ware player. Despite what you say it is not compatible I have seen videos on youtube that people are using VM Ware player with Microsoft xp/vista installed on the playstation 3 anyway I will try qemu.

I am trying to get XP on my ps3 basically so I can view video content which majority of website don't accept linux. Plus linux is for highly qualified programmers not for newbies imo.

Thanks.
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 21 May 2009, 19:03

AzimScot wrote:Thanks for the helpful advice. Yes I have installed it as a RPM package. Please give directions on how I would uninstall VM Ware player.

Please provide a link to where you downloaded this. I need to know the exact name of the download to help you unload it.

Despite what you say it is not compatible I have seen videos on youtube that people are using VM Ware player with Microsoft xp/vista installed on the playstation 3 anyway I will try qemu.

Please provide a link to these videos. I need to know the exact method by which folks are doing this.

When I look at YouTube videos like this:
"Windows XP on PS3"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Ecr8tWetI

they're using QEMU.

Be aware that since QEMU is an emulator, and not a virtualizer, the speed is fairly slow. According to QEMU benchmarks I've run on my PS3, it's equivalent to about a Pentium 90.

I am trying to get XP on my ps3 basically so I can view video content which majority of website don't accept linux. Plus linux is for highly qualified programmers not for newbies imo.

Yeah - that's the rub, isn't it. However - if you spend a little bit of time with Linux, you're no longer a noob - so there you go! :D

If you set up the extra repositories according to these instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

you should be able to use the version of qemu that's in the fedora-extras repo, either via Add/Remove Software or yum install qemu from the terminal window.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AzimScot » 26 May 2009, 16:16

How is it I install Quemu from the terminal window once downloaded. I need exact step to step simple instructions on how to do it.

Also, is there any way to by pass the username and password screen at the start like an autostart?

Why is it YDL cannot play the majority of video files like megavideo & Veoh player online? I thought linux was far more advanced than windows.
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 May 2009, 19:17

AzimScot wrote:How is it I install Quemu from the terminal window once downloaded. I need exact step to step simple instructions on how to do it.

Also, is there any way to by pass the username and password screen at the start like an autostart?

Why is it YDL cannot play the majority of video files like megavideo & Veoh player online? I thought linux was far more advanced than windows.

It's best to set up the standard repositories per this post:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

particularly Fedora Extras. Then, you can just use yum install qemu as a root user from a terminal window to install it.

You don't want to bypass the username and password screen, unless you're willing to live with the security hole.

The reason YDL can't play these websites is not because of a failure of Linux. These websites use Adobe Flash, and so far Adobe has not released a version of Flash that works with PowerPC Linux. (PS3's main processor is a PowerPC, not an x86). Since Flash is not open source, it's fully up to Adobe to do this, and they have indicated that, at the present time, they're just not interested.

The open source community is attempting to reverse engineer Flash from its specifications - they have programs called gnash and swfdec - but compared to Flash, they're bloated and slow.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AzimScot » 26 May 2009, 21:40

I have followed all that but still cant find where my installed software is??
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 May 2009, 21:44

AzimScot wrote:I have followed all that but still cant find where my installed software is??

You will have to start qemu from a terminal window. Just to make sure you've installed it correctly, what is the output of these commands?

From a terminal window, type:
which qemu

and

rpm -qa | grep qemu

and paste the output here.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 27 May 2009, 04:49

AzimScot wrote:I have followed all that but still cant find where my installed software is??

Software binaries installed from repos or RPM are almost always installed in /usr/bin

Software installed from source code are usually, but not always, installed in /usr/local/bin

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby AzimScot » 07 Jun 2009, 14:31

this is what is coming up I have installed qemu successfully see my other post, but still cant open up the application and cant see it in my applications??

Thx.

[AzimScot@localhost ~]$ which qemu
/usr/bin/qemu
[AzimScot@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost AzimScot]# which qemu
/usr/bin/qemu
[root@localhost AzimScot]# rpm -qa | grep qemu
qemu-0.8.2-4.fc6
[root@localhost AzimScot]#
AzimScot
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 07 Jun 2009, 22:17

AzimScot wrote:this is what is coming up I have installed qemu successfully see my other post, but still cant open up the application and cant see it in my applications??

Thx.

[AzimScot@localhost ~]$ which qemu
/usr/bin/qemu
[AzimScot@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost AzimScot]# which qemu
/usr/bin/qemu
[root@localhost AzimScot]# rpm -qa | grep qemu
qemu-0.8.2-4.fc6
[root@localhost AzimScot]#

Good - qemu is installed correctly, and it looks like you have the right version.

So - qemu will not show up in your GUI menus - it's launched primarily via command line. You should be able to open a terminal window and just type qemu

However - qemu by itself won't do much. You'll have to create a disk image, etc., then add parameters to the command line when you launch qemu to get stuff to happen.

There should be some good documentation at the QEMU website to get you started. We also have some folks around here who have used it - I think a forum search might turn up some good posts.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Beginner