Please Help ! Back to the future.........

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Please Help ! Back to the future.........

Postby mojomaster » 22 May 2009, 16:06

Hello there oh wise purvayers of wisdom an interllect !

Im back from a distant past (about three months to be exsact) And basically I forgot pretty much everything I did know about YLD at that time........... :?

It is installed on my ps3 at the mo, but I just havent had time to dedicate one minute to it since. But I have to reinstall it all anyway because at the time I only allocated 10GB to YLD not knowing that was all the space for the whole OS an everything.

Also because ( correct me if Im wrong) But on setup it asks you whether your using a wireless connection or ethernet.....?
And Id like to use it wirelessly.
I havet kept updated on that one either. Have we got the whole wireless thingy sorted yet...? Any links or help there would be great, and should I expect to have to use a ethernet to start with b4 I can sort out my wireless.....????

Also Just a lil query....

The last time I used it was when I decided to watch a DVD while eating my lovely supper, so I chucked in the DVD forgeting It was on YLD, and for the life of me I couldnt get it to play. I was rushing thou as my lovely hot supper was sat there calling me......
I thought it might be just plug an play if ya get me, Must I download any codecs 1st to just be able to play DVD's.

Im having to learn all this from scratch anywhoos, and any advice and tips about updates and patches to get me started would be greeeaaaaaaat.

Im looking froward to it, And as I have just put both of my desktops on Fleabay, Ill have no choice now anyway, which is what I wanted. Just from reading a few random posts about stuff in here, I felt outta my depth a little, But ya gotta start somewhere.

All advice and critisisam welcome

I hope one day that you will take me into your warm bossom and will shall be like brothers, but from differant mothers with B++++d fathers................................ :mrgreen:
mojomaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Please Help ! Back to the future.........

Postby ppietro » 22 May 2009, 21:42

mojomaster wrote:Also because ( correct me if Im wrong) But on setup it asks you whether your using a wireless connection or ethernet.....?
And Id like to use it wirelessly.
I havet kept updated on that one either. Have we got the whole wireless thingy sorted yet...? Any links or help there would be great, and should I expect to have to use a ethernet to start with b4 I can sort out my wireless.....????

Wireless tips and tricks for YDL 6.1

You won't need an Ethernet to start.

mojomaster wrote:The last time I used it was when I decided to watch a DVD while eating my lovely supper, so I chucked in the DVD forgeting It was on YLD, and for the life of me I couldnt get it to play. I was rushing thou as my lovely hot supper was sat there calling me......
I thought it might be just plug an play if ya get me, Must I download any codecs 1st to just be able to play DVD's.

You will need an external USB DVD drive to watch DVDs on YDL Linux. The internal drive is prevented from accessing the decryption keys for both DVDs and Blu-rays by the PS3's hypervisor. I use my Xbox 360's external HD-DVD drive to watch DVDs. :D

If you install VLC via YUM/pirut (aka Add/Remove Software), it should automatically install the DVD playback codecs.

mojomaster wrote:Im having to learn all this from scratch anywhoos, and any advice and tips about updates and patches to get me started would be greeeaaaaaaat.

Bookmark these:

Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Solving problems with Installing Software

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner