YDL Complete Newb + iBook G4

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

YDL Complete Newb + iBook G4

Postby fin2999 » 31 May 2009, 16:36

Ok, I am a complete newb to YDL. I have used Ubuntu and Xubuntu quite a bit so I am not entirely new to the Linux world.

I have just installed YDL 6.1 on an iBook G4 and I have hit a few speed bumps.

1. Wifi, how do I go abotu getting it to work? In Ubuntu you just activate the "restricted drivers". But I cant even find anything referencing Network Config.

2. YDL is based on Red Hat correct? Am I using "yum install" to install packages then?

Thanks in advance for any help :D
fin2999
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL Complete Newb + iBook G4

Postby ppietro » 31 May 2009, 21:35

fin2999 wrote:1. Wifi, how do I go abotu getting it to work? In Ubuntu you just activate the "restricted drivers". But I cant even find anything referencing Network Config.

Since I use a PS3, I'm not exactly sure where to begin - it just "works" right out of the box for us.

I did find these links on Fixstars' site - perhaps they will help:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml
&
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... reme.shtml

2. YDL is based on Red Hat correct? Am I using "yum install" to install packages then?

If you download packages manually, you'd use rpm -ivh package_name to install. If you want to use the automated repository system via the network - sort of like apt-get - then you'd use yum install package_name. Or just use the graphical manager - look for Add/Remove Software, or launch it from the terminal window with pirut

Be aware that YDL follows the pure open source model of Red Hat/Fedora. Unlike Ubuntu, copyrighted libraries like MP3, etc. won't be included in the default repositories. You'll have to add extra repositories to get these codecs. We have a guide for the PS3 here - I think this should work for the G4 as well:

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fin2999 » 01 Jun 2009, 00:04

So I am trying to follow the instructions but am running into an error.

[Jill@localhost ~]$ yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Config Error: Error accessing file for config file://///etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-extras.repo
[Jill@localhost ~]$
fin2999
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jun 2009, 00:14

fin2999 wrote:So I am trying to follow the instructions but am running into an error.

[Jill@localhost ~]$ yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Config Error: Error accessing file for config file://///etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-extras.repo
[Jill@localhost ~]$

You always need some sort of network for YUM. I'd suggest wired Ethernet to start.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fin2999 » 01 Jun 2009, 00:21

lol i was plugged in through ethernet, im just didnt realize i had to run it as the root user.
got so used to typing in "sudo" wtih Ubuntu xD
fin2999
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jun 2009, 06:01

fin2999 wrote:lol i was plugged in through ethernet, im just didnt realize i had to run it as the root user.
got so used to typing in "sudo" wtih Ubuntu xD

Oops - yeah - sorry - that's Yum's non-root user message. In my defense, I was late for a make-up Mother's Day dinner at my Mom's house, and rushing out the door. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fin2999 » 02 Jun 2009, 03:15

lol dont worry you're forgiven ;)
fin2999
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner