Make or break!

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Make or break!

Postby Ingramator » 01 Jun 2009, 14:04

Hi i currently own a ps3, and i have been looking into installing Linux for this.
I have been looking around and it has said YDL is the best one for it.

The only questions i have are what can you actually use it for?
I am into my computers and use them alot after doing my degree in IT
Just wondering whether this is worthwhile for a ps3?
Does it make any difference to the gameplay for ps3?

Also another question is does it come with a version of flash or does this mean you cant view videos etc?

Basically just needed extra information about this on a ps3 just so i can make sure its worthwile doing this
Ingramator
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Make or break!

Postby billb » 01 Jun 2009, 14:19

Ingramator wrote:The only questions i have are what can you actually use it for?

This varies quite a bit -- we have a topic you may want to read through here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4711

Does it make any difference to the gameplay for ps3?

No difference at all, except that you'll be using a minimum of 10 GB of your internal drive space for YDL. Sony gives us only two options -- 10GB to the OtherOS (YDL) or 10GB to the GameOS (XMB), with the remainder going to the other side. I think most of us who still use our PS3's for gaming go with the 10GB for OtherOS option.

Also another question is does it come with a version of flash or does this mean you cant view videos etc?

It comes with gnash, a Flash alternative, since Adobe doesn't offer a PPC Linux build of their Flash player. I haven't had much luck with gnash playing Youtube videos and the like, but it's also possible to have Totem, Mplayer, or VLC to play videos within Firefox.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ingramator » 01 Jun 2009, 16:29

Thank you very much for the reply mate.
I am going to have a read of that link that you posted on your reply.
As i said i want to put this onto my ps3 but i just didnt want to do it and see that it was a waste of time.

In regards to taking it off is it factory reset or an easier way?

Also im new to linux so if you have any good sites or books that will help me with code will be brilliant.

Have you put it on your ps3?
Ingramator
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jun 2009, 22:02

Ingramator wrote:In regards to taking it off is it factory reset or an easier way?

Do you mean removing Linux? It's fairly easy to remove - you just repartition your PS3's hard drive from the GameOS XMB and allocate all space back to PS3 GameOS.

Don't forget to backup your PS3 from the GameOS XMB before you repartition/reformat and then restore. Otherwise, you'll have to re-download your games, etc.

Ingramator wrote:Have you put it on your ps3?

Oh yeah - all of the site admins and moderators have installed it. You really can't give good advice on these forums unless you have a copy running nearby. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ingramator » 01 Jun 2009, 22:27

ppietro wrote:Oh yeah - all of the site admins and moderators have installed it. You really can't give good advice on these forums unless you have a copy running nearby. :D

Thanks very much, what im going to do is install it on weekend, i feel like i need to read more about linux before i start any books or websites i can look at in order for me to learn?

Are there new things that people are finding out as they use it more and more?
Ingramator
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jun 2009, 23:23

Ingramator wrote:Are there new things that people are finding out as they use it more and more?

Yes - of course. That's true of every Unix, though. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 02 Jun 2009, 04:13

Ingramator wrote: any books or websites i can look at in order for me to learn?

Tons of Linux books out there. I personally recommend keeping a copy of "Running Linux" from O'Reilly books around as well as a big fat Red Hat oriented one, (those are expensive) and perhaps another with a more desktop slant.

I happen to like the website http://www.linuxquestions.org

Some of my google searches have led me to good info on the various Ubuntu forums.

These boards are also chock full of useful information, Paul and Bill are extremely knowledgeable.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Ingramator » 03 Jun 2009, 13:26

Thank you very much for your replies.

Would looking at basic code for linux be beneficial for me?

I know im asking loads of questions but because im new to this i want to make sure im doing everything right.
Ingramator
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Jun 2009, 23:55

Ingramator wrote:Thank you very much for your replies.

Would looking at basic code for linux be beneficial for me?

I know im asking loads of questions but because im new to this i want to make sure im doing everything right.

Hi Ingramator:
Every profession differs in the tools it utilizes. IT encompasses:

• Computer Science which involves Advanced Mathematics and Programming.
  • Telecommunications which involves Networking principles, Advanced Mathematics, Physics and Engineering.
  • Internet and Web design which also involves various languages which implement Computer Science principles.

The Linux operating system is comprised of a large variety of programming and engineering tools and large variety of languages which can be utilized within any of the above areas. YDL although it is one of a variety of Linux variants (such as Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora...), supports only PowerPC family computers, which includes the Cell (which is within the PS3). There are maybe one or two Linux distributions which exist for x86 Linux (Intel and compatibles) and PowerPC computers (which includes the Cell). Most distributions have discovered that it is very difficult to support different CPUs and have chosen to focus on just one to preserve resources and skills. The YDL distribution has a long and advantageous history of being designed exclusively for the PowerPC family computers.

Anyone willing to develop the right set of technical programming (and research skills) can use the PS3 or any computer YDL will run on such that it becomes used and programmed (by that individual) as a server or client. Also should any essential tools exist for x86 Linux but not be included within the standard YDL release, then that same person can acquire the source code for that tool and compile that code within YDL creating binaries not only for installation for their own needs but this person can also share these same binaries within the YDL community for whomever needs those same tools.

The YDL community, in comparison to x86 Linux based communities, is miniscule. However the opportunity for doing important and advanced work depends solely upon an individual's drive to explore and expand one's experience and knowledge base; YDL as a companion/tool is something I have discovered to be truly beyond price. I have described elsewhere (within the YDL Board) my professional experience in using YDL and it's proven usefulness within a real world IT environment. There are no rules or clear guidelines which would be advantageous for everyone. Even so, if the willingness to learn and develop remains within a person then YDL as a compilation of tools and computer languages could be that hidden treasure we've all heard rumors of but few ever use as it's true value/flexibility is all too easy to overlook.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Beginner