increasing linux swap

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

increasing linux swap

Postby Digitalgenicide » 07 Jun 2009, 04:52

this is probibly a stupid question but would increasing linux swap increase speed?
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: increasing linux swap

Postby ppietro » 07 Jun 2009, 07:08

Digitalgenicide wrote:this is probibly a stupid question but would increasing linux swap increase speed?

Nope - sorry.

What it will do is increase the numbers of programs you can run simultaneously. However - there's a speed penalty whenever swap is invoked.

So - for a PS3 - as long as your programs and operating system run in 256 Meg, that's as fast as it can go. When you exceed the 256 Megs - which is the physical RAM in the system - Linux will start swapping pages of memory out to the swap file. This will allow programs to exceed the 256 Meg limit at the expense of disk speed.

The best thing you can do as far as swapfile is concerned is to turn on the ps3vram swap. This uses unused RAM in your video memory for swap instead of hard disc. RAM swap is faster than disc swap. The cool thing is that you can have both on at the same time - and our posted setup instructions prioritze the vram swap higher than the disc swap. So - you'll fill up the vram first, then the disc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digitalgenicide » 08 Jun 2009, 02:53

yeah i thought so. i already enabled the v-ram swap. i,ve also tried fluxbox but that only seemed a little faster. but i didnt like that interface. ( i usually stick with Gnome). Thanks for the response.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby mark7901 » 16 Jun 2009, 22:52

Hello, I am trying to enable the ps3vram, but I cannot get into the init.d directory. I see it there (with a green arrow next to it) but cannot access it from terminal logged in as root (no such directory), any ideas?
mark7901
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mark7901 » 16 Jun 2009, 23:08

nm, found it. It was hidden behind the rc.d folder.
mark7901
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Beginner